I am thinking about starting a Tech and/or C level Recruiting firm, that will provided recruitment and consulting services thoughout the US.
I have doubst about the success of the company because we are in a so called "rescission ". What do you guys think? Suggestions snd tips would be greatly appreciated.

Views: 374

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Simone,

I think it depends on your background. Is your experience agency side or corporate? If it's agency, then I'd say go for it, as you should have the experience to get clients easily and recruit for them. If your experience is corporate it will be more difficult because while there are similarities, the agency side requires more sales focus than corporate, getting new business especially.

If you're looking to start out, I'd also suggest you pick one geographic area and focus there rather than service the entire us...that is far more difficult. If you focus on one area you can build a deeper network more quickly and better serve your clients.

It's definitely more difficult to get going when the economy is in a downswing....the advantage though, if your background is agency and you are used to the sales piece is that more recruiters are getting out than getting in, so if you work really hard now, when things pick up again, you'll reap the benefits.

Also, in the tech world, we're not feeling the recession yet....so depending on your focus, business might be fine!

Good luck,
Pam
Hey Pam,

Thank you for the advice. I actually have over 6 years agency experience, two of those years were spent specifically tech recruiting. I am located in the NYC are so do you think I should focus on the try state are or the whole east coast. As you probaly know NY is flooded with recruiters.

Simone
Hi Simone,

Every area is flooded with recruiters. :) NY is no more or less really. Do you have to work around a non-compete? If not, then you could start with some of your existing clients...if so, then just focus on getting a few good clients. You only need a handful of clients to be successful, especially if you're on your own...you might also try to hook up with a few other recruiters in your area that focus on your space to do splits with, that way you can leverage your candidates and job orders. If I were you I'd focus on the tri-state area, especially when starting out I think you have more credibility with new clients if you are local and can truthfully say you have an established referral network in the area you can draw on for candidates they don't have access to. If you do the whole East coast, you dilute your efforts and are starting from scratch with each search.

Hope that helps,
Pam
Hey Pam

That is very helpful, thanks so much for the advice, I am soo eager to get started. I am actually just leaving a position as an Advertising Consultant in New London, CT where I did very little recruiting, but I will be working around a non-compete :(.
I do have a Tech Job Board (smartechpeople.com) so I am hoping that will also give me an edge.
Everyone needs tech peeps. We aren't seeing any slow down. Sounds like you know the recruiting industry and the niche. It's a crowded space, but if you add value... you'll make it. Keep expenses super low for the first year.
Hi Simone,

Let us know: Have you started?

Thanks
Ivan | http://www.JobsBlog.ie
Interesting - as I think about whether I could recommend to someone that now is a good time to start an agency - it makes me reflect on a few things myself.....

In a sense I need to start each week with the same enthusiasm and commitment that someone in Simone's position would. As has been seen here over the last few weeks - nothing is guaranteed!

As far as I am concerned - next Monday will require nearly the same amount of work from me as anyone else starting a firm right now. I've got to call companies that do not know me, present my services and hopefully find a manager that needs my help.

So would I start a tech recruiting firm right now? Sure. I have to start one next week myself!

Good luck Simone.
Hi Simone,

Best wishes. I say go for it.

Well said. Wonderful perspective!!!

Jerry Albright said:

Interesting - as I think about whether I could recommend to someone that now is a good time to start an agency - it makes me reflect on a few things myself.....

In a sense I need to start each week with the same enthusiasm and commitment that someone in Simone's position would. As has been seen here over the last few weeks - nothing is guaranteed!

As far as I am concerned - next Monday will require nearly the same amount of work from me as anyone else starting a firm right now. I've got to call companies that do not know me, present my services and hopefully find a manager that needs my help.

So would I start a tech recruiting firm right now? Sure. I have to start one next week myself!

Good luck Simone.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Subscribe

All the recruiting news you see here, delivered straight to your inbox.

Just enter your e-mail address below

Webinar

RecruitingBlogs on Twitter

© 2024   All Rights Reserved   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service