I'm a huge fan of Twitter. I didn't get it at first, but then as I started selectively following people that interested me, everything started to 'click'. I follow a few different kinds of people, other recruiters and thought leaders that interest me, news makers, local, national and industry specific (which is where I have to be careful with Twitter, I'm an info junkie and have to resist the temptation to follow every new link to a fascinating story)....and here's the key for me with Twitter, following people in the space in which I recruit, (search marketing, web 2.0, mobile/e-commerce, social networking, etc.).

I follow the 80/20 rule for the most part, meaning 80% of what I Tweet is business related content, a link to an interesting article I read and want to share, or a quick shout out on a new search. The other 20% is random fun stuff, I'm a foodie, so it may be a twitter recipe (all in 140 characters) or like yesterday, the link to the breaking news that Julie Child and other famous people were also spies!

But how Twitter is working for me so far is in generating some fantastic candidates in the space that I recruit in. My job update Tweets seem to get passed along and I've been hearing from people I likely wouldn't find otherwise.

I've also had comments from new candidates who referenced something I posted on Twitter, always the personal stuff....so I think it helps in giving them the sense that they 'know me' a little.

Also....LinkedIn's new 'update' feature is similar to a Twitter post, and very effective. I've had people in my network reach out based on what I've posted there on new searches. Whenever you post your update on LinkedIn it shows up on the home page of your first level contacts...

So, any other tips for what is working for YOU on Twitter?

Happy Friday!
~Pam

Views: 60

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I MUST start using it - you're one of the thought leaders I follow! Now, tell me, where's the link to the article about Child being a spy? That's fascinatin'!
http://tinyurl.com/6pcfq2 is the article on Julia.
http://tinyurl.com/6pcfq2 is a followup picture slideshow of 6 other famous celebs who were also spies.

Fun stuff!
Maureen Sharib said:
I MUST start using it - you're one of the thought leaders I follow! Now, tell me, where's the link to the article about Child being a spy? That's fascinatin'!
Thanks! Fascinatin' (and fun!) stuff!
How can Twitter be used to source??
Thanks for the article, Pam. This helps alot as I am just starting out. Would you be open to sharing your job postings across our networks?? I'd be happy to share them with mine if you'd reciprocate... I also recruit in the marketing space but you and I get different types of searches (mine are more analytical)...

Thanks
Roni

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Subscribe

All the recruiting news you see here, delivered straight to your inbox.

Just enter your e-mail address below

Webinar

RecruitingBlogs on Twitter

© 2024   All Rights Reserved   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service