just started a staffing and recruitment, based from Toronto.
My motivation is to give a good salary to my contractors, and make some money at same time.Even though I m a techie,I am right now concentrating on labour jobs and manual, becasue I feel this is where I can help more people.I dont have any contacts(of employers, who wants the workers, can someone please help me with advice on approching these employers, who would tel me they need people to work !!!!!Is it directly walking to their office or thru online, or is there any such source in toronto?
Much thanks , for all reading and responding

Views: 165

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You are now a salesman. Welcome to our world. My advice would be three fold, and I'm not going to pull any punches.

#1 - work that phone like it's a kid that stole your cookie
#2 - Hire someone to do some promotional material and email templates for you, your grammar, spelling and punctuation issues demonstrated above will kill your credibility.
#3 - we call the type of work you're specializing in LID, which is Light Industrial. Make sure you understand your burden (load) with the additional risk levied by these positions, workmans comp and of course - memorize the OSHA guidelines for the people you're placing.

Another route you could take, as people generally develop contacts BEFORE starting a business like this, is to go to work for a competitor for a period of time and learn the business/develop contacts.

HAPPY HUNTING!

Art Pitcher
www.TheArtOfRecruiting.net
Hi Art,

Really appreciate your informative reply.
Yes, I understand I will have to put some real efforts, I am not thinking of suspending this for sometime,to work for someone else, I am confident of taking it ahead myself. Do you not support me?!!!!
Other than workmans and memorize the OSHA guidelines for the people I am placing, what else is the RisK or Burden !!!! I am not really aware , pls if you could give me some insight into it!!!! Really really apprecite your comments Art.
Thanks,
Sam.
Sam, I am sorry - I think you are setting yourself up to fail. You do not understand the basic concepts of the business, which means you will be yet another recruiter/company making the real professionals look bad. It's one of the problems of this business - few barriers to entry. You couldn't go be a lawyer without some training. You couldn't go be a chef without some training, but you put out a sign saying you're now a recruitment agency without understanding burden or employment issues?

Dude.

Really?

Art Pitcher

sam2255 said:
Hi Art,

Really appreciate your informative reply.
Yes, I understand I will have to put some real efforts, I am not thinking of suspending this for sometime,to work for someone else, I am confident of taking it ahead myself. Do you not support me?!!!!
Other than workmans and memorize the OSHA guidelines for the people I am placing, what else is the RisK or Burden !!!! I am not really aware , pls if you could give me some insight into it!!!! Really really apprecite your comments Art.
Thanks,
Sam.
Sam,
Do you have any recruiting industry experience? If not, then I'd agree with Art. This business is not as easy as it looks. I worked at an agency for 10 years before making the leap. I don't think you need to spend that much time, but at least a few years so that you learn the business.....there's a lot to it, working with candidates and clients and all the steps in the recruiting process.
~Pam
I have a strong feeling that this is not a legitimate post and that I have seen it before
Art,

Unfortunately, I have to disagree with you. I am not doing techie recruiting, I am into what you mentioned the LID, first, and there is a reason( doing only that first). I dont really agree with all these experience stuff, because, once I had to take up a job in Marketting, without any real experience for TD bank, and I turned out to be the best sales person( beating the guys who were already in marketting and working with the same financial product). As for making the profession look bad, Art, I dont know what you mean, but I cant make everyone look good, and then start my life?,,( is my policy), I have personally had experience of some recruiters bahaving horribly with people who come to apply for a job, and it turned out to be my motivation to start one in the first place. And for experience I am reading books from Library.
If you have more advice on how to go ahead, I would love to hear it.Else catch you back on the same forum with my success stories, may be after 6 months!!!!. But I really feel my venture into this field would improve the quality, and professionalism associated with this profession.
" A good teacher is a leader, who can see into the future, and help others to go for it" People say , Churchil could see 200 yrs into th future!!!!
thanks
sam
Oh Sam. Do what you will. I'm sure the library can teach you all you need about this silly little recruiting business.

sam2255 said:
Art,

Unfortunately, I have to disagree with you. I am not doing techie recruiting, I am into what you mentioned the LID, first, and there is a reason( doing only that first). I dont really agree with all these experience stuff, because, once I had to take up a job in Marketting, without any real experience for TD bank, and I turned out to be the best sales person( beating the guys who were already in marketting and working with the same financial product). As for making the profession look bad, Art, I dont know what you mean, but I cant make everyone look good, and then start my life?,,( is my policy), I have personally had experience of some recruiters bahaving horribly with people who come to apply for a job, and it turned out to be my motivation to start one in the first place. And for experience I am reading books from Library.
If you have more advice on how to go ahead, I would love to hear it.Else catch you back on the same forum with my success stories, may be after 6 months!!!!. But I really feel my venture into this field would improve the quality, and professionalism associated with this profession.
" A good teacher is a leader, who can see into the future, and help others to go for it" People say , Churchil could see 200 yrs into th future!!!!
thanks
sam
Sorry to be another member here who won't be joining hands and singing Kum Bah Yah with you Sam - but gain some knowledge first.

Second - get rid of the "big heart" idea. Thoughtful you may be - but thinking your edge is "paying more" and, excuse me for assuming the next part "billing less" is the very quickest way to failure in this business.

I charge more than my competitors.....and am considering raising my rates.

Get some experiece then go for it!
Okay , If you are experinced, which is the best book I can read !!!!
Sam,
You can't learn how to do this job by reading a book. And honestly, if your background is tech, I'd start there because at least you have some experience with technical people. Light Industrial is very different, extremely different. How will you get any clients? Why should they work with you? One of the ways I get new clients is talking about my years of experience. You will be competing with people who have experience, so it will be an uphill battle to even have a client agree to give you a search.

When you work in an agency first you get the benefit of seeing all different scenarios and how other more experienced recruiters handle them. If you start with no experience, you'll be flying blind...so much more difficult.

I'm starting to wonder if Jason is right and if you are just having fun with us. It's hard to imagine that you are serious.

sam2255 said:
Okay , If you are experinced, which is the best book I can read !!!!
Can I recommend a quick book to browse before jumping into the staffing biz - at least in North America ? - Webster's Standard Edition Dictionary.
You go, Sam.

You've got it pegged. Our industry is filled with incompetent, heartless slime balls who only care about making money by offering the lowest possible wage we can to our consultants...at least on the flex side.

I hope you are successful. Your mission of offering your contractors a good salary, while making a little money is just and right. I'm tired of working in such a scummy industry. Maybe you can change it for the better!!

You should contact your chamber of commerce. I'm sure they'll have all the leads you need. When you approach businesses, you should send them gift baskets. That'll show them you really care. I know a successful sales company that focuses on paper that had great results with this method.

As far as a book -- are you familiar with the "Dummies Guide to..." series? Here is a link: http://www.dummies.com/

They have a guide for recruiting. I can't seem to find it on there. You might want to check Amazon. That should tell you everything you need to know to be successful.

Don't listen to all these experienced recruiters, they are just afraid of ambitious mavericks like you. They've worked hard to get in and they don't want talented people like you taking their piece of the pie.

I agree with Art though...you do need to clean up your grammar/spelling.

You rock. I look forward to hearing all your success stories. I'm sure you'll put most of these old fogies to shame.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Subscribe

All the recruiting news you see here, delivered straight to your inbox.

Just enter your e-mail address below

Webinar

RecruitingBlogs on Twitter

© 2024   All Rights Reserved   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service