Hello fellow recruiters and Happy Friday!
I'm fairly new to recruiting and I love it! So far my main recruiting experience has been corporate recruiting. I'm not looking to leave my company but I'd like to do some freelance recruiting on the side. How do I go about getting started? I can find the candidates but I wanted to get some tips and suggestions as to finding open reqs and how do the fees work? Are they flat fees or percentages? I figured I turn to the pros for answers! Thanks everyone! Alicia

T

Views: 799

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Your best bet (assuming you don't have any non-compete issues) is to start as a researcher for other firms. This can be done in the evening/weeked/outside traditional business hours.

You can not effectively work a complete placement cycle in a "part time/evening" fashion. To make a placement on your own you need to be available to have discussions, follow ups, market, etc. all hours of the business day.
I agree with Jerry. Especially if you're new to recruiting I don't see how you could effectively do this. Even if you are more senior level, it's not fair to your employer to work on other reqs during the day, and realistically what could you get done at night? You need to talk to candidates and clients during normal work hours. Then too, what resources would you be using to find candidates? Or would you be looking to use your employer's resources for your free-lance efforts? That's a slippery slope.
I agree with Jerry and Pam, this may sound like a good idea but you need to be sure you have thought this through all the way. My guess is you will be using the resources of your company to source the candidates during after hours and if so you probably want to have something in writing that they are all right with this, don't just assume they are fine with it. They may be fine with it but I would not make that assumption.

Also, if you start working on some positions that potential for a placement will become a distraction during your normal work day as you will start to monitor your personal e-mail account a bit more trying to keep the process moving.

You probably could get away with moon light recruiting using your employers resources, and using some work time (here and there) to communicate with companies and candidates for your personal efforts. The big question is, is that a risk you are willing to take and that is something you need to answer. As has been pointed out, there are multiple 'potential' issues (some moral) and you may be putting your job in jeopardy if your employer became aware of this and did not approve. You say you are new to recruiting, I would say keep your focus on Corporate recruiting as that is great experience and then someday move to an agency where you can get bonus incentives based on placements.
No, I wouldn't be using my employer's resources. I definitely want to keep it separate from my day job and limit it to evenings and weekends and use my resources at home (online searches, user groups, social networking, etc.) The researcher term is new for me. Is the researcher focusing on sourcing and then forwarding qualified candidates to another recruiter? Thanks again! This is really helpful!
Yes. Researchers identify potential candidates. To what degree those "potentials" are then developed beyond contact data and resume I don't know. Maureen here can shed more light on that than me.

But if you were to go that route then you would be able to do it nights/weekends.

Good luck Alicia!
Thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions!

RSS

Subscribe

All the recruiting news you see here, delivered straight to your inbox.

Just enter your e-mail address below

Webinar

RecruitingBlogs on Twitter

© 2024   All Rights Reserved   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service