I am trying to find out what the best practice is for including interview notes in a candidate's record within our applicant tracking system. If we do include our interview notes sheet in a candidate's ATS profile, do we then need to do it for all candidates? If some recruiters include notes and others do not, do we then open ourselves up to legal issues from a discrimination stand point down the line?

Views: 997

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Lauren, 

Best Practices for Adding Interview Notes:  Well, hopefully you have an ATS that you can configure to meet that need.

Meaning, you can add a field called Interview Notes.  Our system has a special URL link where the hiring manager can type their own notes and send it to you and you can attach that as well. When there is direct feedback from the hiring manager, it's pretty powerful for all involved, and it saves a ton of time waiting to get interview feedback.

Most importantly (and you mentioned it above) make certain everyone follows the guidelines you set forth regarding data entry.  More information is better.  You should be able to track who is and who is not following Interview Notes Protocol, by the entries they do and do not make.

Hope this helps,

Reena

TargetRecruit.net

For EVERY candidate, you should keep notes for your screening. Any piece of information that you feel you would need to refer back to (with either the candidate or with the client) you should save. I have some bullet points I have to grab from every single candidate I speak with, however I don't let that limit me. Personality quirks (like arrogance) or some superlative point of experience, are just some of the biggies to include in candidate notes. 

Also, I suggest you keep a "DO NOT CALL" list, of candidates who have crossed you and you won't work with. It takes a good bit to get on my "DO NOT CALL" list, however if that candidate qualifies for one of my positions in the future, someone else in my company can take the placement--I will not work with that candidate again.

This is invaluable and you will see the benefits when a heavy workload builds, you're juggling multiple people with the same names, clients ask you about conversations you've had with candidates long ago, and so on. 

I have always found it best practice to keep at many details as possible on every single hiring situation.  If not for the sake of good documentation, but from the legal standpoint as well.  As long as your hiring practices are above board and well documented, you'll better avoid a discriminatory hiring practice complaint or more down the road.

Can never have to much C-Y-A.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Subscribe

All the recruiting news you see here, delivered straight to your inbox.

Just enter your e-mail address below

Webinar

RecruitingBlogs on Twitter

© 2024   All Rights Reserved   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service