I am a rookie recruiter, but the founder of the small firm I work for asked me:

- How relevant or important are business cards in the modern recruiting age?

Any input on handing out business cards in recruiting is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Views: 1360

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I believe the majority will tell you they are still very relevant. Especially if you are meeting with executive level people. The first order of business is usually exchanging business cards. If you're not meeting clients or candidates and simply smiling and dialing for dollars, then you don't need them. If that's how your firm operates, you'll burn out pretty quickly.

Yes.  

Yes, absolutely.  Recruiting is a 24/7/365 profession and everyone you meet is a potential client or candidate...if they can remember your name and number after you meet them.

Thanks for the responses! My initial thought was that they are being outsourced by technology (smart phones, email sigs, etc.) but I agree that they are important, especially for executives, and can't hurt to give to anyone with whom you are wanting to establish a connection.

No, not very relevant for me.  I just email or text people my v card if I meet them socially.  

I handed mine to a sales rep at an electronics store because he did such a great job.  Ended up hiring him a year later when he finished school.

You never know where you are going to meet a prospective client or candidate. The recruiting business is a networking game, and making yourself easy to reach is a big part of that. Business cards are highly relevant, and vista print is a cheap place to get it done. Just make sure your card lists the type of recruiting your firm does and your job title accurately. 

Yes I use them.  Mostly for jotting down short grocery lists or stuff I need to remember to pack for vacation.

The answer is -- yes, no or maybe.   For recruiters, and for anyone else for that matter, the beauty of business cards is that they can be used in so many ways – or not.

For example, they work well as calling cards, of course; or for small note-taking.  Business cards are great for winning a car wash, a tan, lunch or a laptop computer in those ever present drawings that require your business card to play.

There are even practical applications where business cards come in handy.  Take an uneven table or chair for example.  A few business cards can be stacked and wedged under an uneven table or chair leg to level them out.  I’ve used them as a flossing devise and obsolete ones are great for pitching into a hat at five paces.

Good question about the value of business cards.  Their versatility is amazing.

I don't use them because I don't have a need but yes I think they are still relevant.

My business card color is bone. And the lettering is something called Silian Rail.I used to have Eggshell with Romalian type. My friend Timoty Bryce has raised lettering, pale nimbus. White.

I once new a guy Paul Allen that had subtle off-white coloring.A tasteful thickness of it. Oh, my God. It even had a watermark 

Hi Megan,

This is an interesting question.  Given my business and the amount of travel along with the number of people that I connect with; both client business development and candidates alike, I like to have a business card to hand them.  Ironically, I often don't have them in the special suit coat pocket.  They are in the same box in my credenza in my office.(smiling)  I also think it is a subconscious decision for me because I don't like the design of our cards.  Sadly, they are ugly.  I suppose if I had a cool, heavy stock, smaller shape then average, memorable business card I might use them more often.  I wouldn't sweat the business card unless you frequently have clients asking you for one.  If you have not seen this one yet... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YBxeDN4tbk

All the best,

Dan

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Subscribe

All the recruiting news you see here, delivered straight to your inbox.

Just enter your e-mail address below

Webinar

RecruitingBlogs on Twitter

© 2024   All Rights Reserved   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service