I need people to come forward with stories about gender issues.

Call in http://www.recruitingshow.com Wed Feb 11 Noon EST
or email me at recruitinganimal@gmail.com

Some women told me that there are many gender related problems
but I'm not sure how much evidence they will bring or even if they
are going to show.

So I need you. (if you're not boring)

Views: 176

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm gonna show -you better believe it brother, I'm gonna show!
Michelle is interested in this issue -maybe she'll stop by too.

It's a story Obama can relate to. A corporate lawyer and mother of two girls, she abandoned her career to support her husband during his two-year campaign for the presidency and has since said caring for Malia, 10, and Sasha, 7, will be her top priority while her husband is in the White House.

In the earliest days of the campaign, Obama began meeting with small groups of working mothers to hear their concerns and share tit-for-tat stories about the joy of raising children, the thrill of a great career -- and the frustration of feeling you're not quite doing either as well as you'd like.
Read more .
I've seen both sides of this. Yes, in many industries and companies there is still a glass ceiling and unfair, inconsistent pay standards. However, there can also be as many, albeit different, issues when a work group is predominately female. Another perspective Its important to think about is that there will always be personal/marital choices in raising a family that requires give and take between spouses/partners. There is an increase in stay at home dads with some women choosing to stay in the workplace. Another question to consider is will men have the same challenges in reentering the workforce if/when they do decide to return that women have experienced. Lastly, there's been some evidence that the pendulum has swung too far and men, in many instances, do not have as big of an "advantage" as they once did. Not to say that across the board fair pay for equal work has been resolved but from a holistic view this is a very complex issue.

I'll plan to be there and actually have a headset now so sound should be better! See u Wednesday! Susan
I'm feeling sensitive - I'm in too...
I'm in on the this one.

In many industries, women make more than men do (especially in urban settings).

The majority of college degrees is now earned by women, and may be creeping up to 60%.

Women may now be a majority in the workforce, and the recession is hitting men far more than women.

And let's leave Obama out of it - although he pays his Senate staffers less if they are women then if they are men, and seems to think "sweetie" is an appropriate term for a female professional. As for Michelle, her $300,000 a year hospital administrator job had nothing to do with the million dollar earmark given to her hospital appropriated by, then Senator Obama.

I'm armed to the teeth and ready to dialogue!
There are too many ways to go with this thread.....so I'll just wait for the show. Could be on of the best so far this year. Can't wait!
"However, there can also be as many, albeit different, issues when a work group is predominately female."
Susan, are you referring to this, by any chance?
A 60/40 split in female/male populations substantially alters the dynamics of the group. It's called the operational sex ratio. Turns out ignoring the biological differences between us doesn't mean that we are immune to nature.

http://www.whyboysfail.com/2008/07/21/how-college-gender-imbalances...

There are a number if links to the right that talk about what happens in the workplace in these situations.

Maureen Sharib said:
"However, there can also be as many, albeit different, issues when a work group is predominately female."
Of course there's this dynamic...
In case anyone would like the full "sweetie" story video is here.

Thanks for the article Maureen - looks interesting and will read later. Speaking more from personal experience and what I've observed.

As an aside - Europe has explored more male-specific education as some studies have indicated that men have become disadvantaged in the educational system, which is leading to lower graduation rates and lower college enrollment, which is increasing the percentage of women enrolled. However, studies show that women are still only compensated, on average, 78% of what men earn.

THIS is what caught my attention: Comedian Chris Rock does a routine in which he instructs men on how to listen to a wife or girlfriend talk about her day. Actually paying attention, he insists, isn't essential, just remember to look at her, nod your head and at regular intervals say "Uh huh," "Really?" and "I told you that bitch was crazy." That last response might seem overspecialized, but, Rock insists, no matter what a woman does for a living there's always another woman at work who she's convinced is trying to ruin her life.
Susan - and I'm being only slightly humorous here - but lower grad rates and lower enrollment plus lowering sperm counts might mean a future decrease in educated men with which to procreate. Dumber men plus stronger women equals...

Susan Burns said:
...men have become disadvantaged in the educational system, which is leading to lower graduation rates and lower college enrollment, which is increasing the percentage of women enrolled. However, studies show that women are still only compensated, on average, 78% of what men earn.
Jim - absolutely agree with you on the importance of healthy balances in any system. The objective should be not to disadvantage anyone. The evolving educational gender issue and opportunity should be around supporting men to pursue higher education and then helping to ensure their success then it would be discouraging women to pursue an education and ultimately be successful and earn equal pay for equal work. How do we make that happen?

Jim Durbin said:
A 60/40 split in female/male populations substantially alters the dynamics of the group. It's called the operational sex ratio. Turns out ignoring the biological differences between us doesn't mean that we are immune to nature.

http://www.whyboysfail.com/2008/07/21/how-college-gender-imbalances...

There are a number if links to the right that talk about what happens in the workplace in these situations.

Maureen Sharib said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Subscribe

All the recruiting news you see here, delivered straight to your inbox.

Just enter your e-mail address below

Webinar

RecruitingBlogs on Twitter

© 2024   All Rights Reserved   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service