When I posted a recent discussion about changing my attitude in approching the closing of candidates, I got a lot of feedback about whether or not I should have made the adjustment at all. Seems it boiled down to whether or not I was still asking the tough questions - which is of course what we get paid for; the ones that some recruiters simply don't want the answers to, but that good recruiters know are cruicial to the success of a placement.

What we didn't touch on was what those tough questions are. I've been thinking about this since a discussion on the Recruiting Animal Show, when one recruiter (whom I hold in high regard) disliked one of the closing questions that was a staple for me in my consulting days.

The question was "If the manager calls to let me know he/she would like to extend an offer, and the details are what we have discussed, can I accept on your behalf?"

The question served me well, while I never did actually accept on the candidates behalf, if they told me yes I knew my deal was in good shape. But we all know, different strokes for different folks. So..... I'd be interested to learn what some of your tough questions are. How do you approach the close with a candidate? When do you ask these questions and do you ever find yourself not asking them, afraid of the answer? Maybe we can help each other out here with some fresh ideas for keeping us well informed through the recruiting process, without overstepping bounds and being bullies!

Views: 312

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Different approaches work for different people, and I know of other recruiters who say something similar about accepting on the candidate's behalf. To me, that's too pushy and even a little condescending, used car salesman-ish, as if you don't trust the candidate to accept, so you have to do it for them.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
CARLYLE
-------------
[url=www.shubhinetwork.com]OnlineJob[/url]--Online Job
Becky,

I think along with those tough questions, you should do what I was taught a long time ago. The philosophy that has always held true for me is the concept of "always be closing" or "ABC". I have found that if you bring up and reiterate the compensation discussion at every touch point along the way, my success rate is always higher. Questions that I continue to ask at the point of offer are as follows:

1. So if I can get you the amount that we discusssed are you going to accept? If there is any hesitation then I look back to previous conversations as well as the original notes that I took when first screening to see if there is something I've missed. This amount should not be over-inflated. In fact I usually try to set the expectation from a range perspective that the offer will be slightly higher than any figures originally discussed.

2. Has anything changed regarding other offers/opportunities with other organizations since we last talked?

3. Is this opportunity your first choice?

4. What concerns or questions do you have? Hopefully, we have covered everything that the person needs to make a logical decision regarding the position.

This is in my professional opinion the ideal situation. There are way too many variables that can affect the outcome. In fact one of the biggest issues that we all have to deal with today is relocation. Usually they can find good deals on housing at their destination. The problem lies in selling their existing home. Very few candiates that are relocating are not losing money on the existing home.
He's from India. Language barrier. He tried!

Rayanne said:
what???!!!!

Mark Jones said:
I thought you shall accept his offer. But you when accept his offer you give a slip of condition about your work
to your manager. Because every person does not perfect in all works. Every person has perfect in his own field. I think your manager can accept your proposal.

so i tell you please accept managers proposal.

---------

Mark Jones

--------

online Job--------online Job
My personal preference is to ask if they will accept the job under "X" circumstances, but accepting in their behalf is a bit much. Recruiters are notorious for pressure they put on folks. I think it is reasonable for them to go back to a significant other and pass it by them one more time. I believe they will feel pressured if they don't even have the option to do that. I take my candidates at their word. Afterall, just because you accept on their behalf does not mean it is a done deal. And like you said, you have never done that anyway. Why cause the extra feeling pressure? There is enough of that anyway. Just my thoughts.....

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Subscribe

All the recruiting news you see here, delivered straight to your inbox.

Just enter your e-mail address below

Webinar

RecruitingBlogs on Twitter

© 2024   All Rights Reserved   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service