Quick story:
I recently returned from the ERE Conference in San Diego, about an hour and forty-five minute drive from my home. Due to the time that I actually got away from the conference, I hit some really intense traffic and it ended up taking almost three hours. I immediately had to leave for a meeting two hours away. So it was back on the road with no chance to allow myself to become fatigued, though, let me assure you, I was.

By the time my meeting ended and I got back on the road, it was 10:30pm. It was about that time when I realized I had not eaten since breakfast and hunger had set in. Imagine my joy when I saw the glowing red, yellow, and white signage of In-n-Out heaven. I decided an order of fries would hit the spot, so I proceeded to the drive thru. While I waited for the line of cars to move forward and my order to be complete, I literally dozed off. Seriously.

Unfortunately, in the process of dozing off, my foot slipped off the brake and my cute little Honda rolled forward, tapping the car in front of me, a brand-new Mercedes. Yikes. Well, of course I woke up immediately and the woman in the passenger seat of the vehicle jumped out of the car and started to survey any damage. There was none. But it was an expensive car owned by a pretentious California woman and her “considerably richer than you” husband. So, we had to really look over the bumper, making sure the reverse cameras weren’t damaged. (oh geez…)

Don’t worry, there was no damage and no names or insurance details were exchanged. Thank goodness. I was at the wheel, I was in charge of my destiny and I failed, even if it was only for a minute, I failed. It was my responsibility to make sure that I was safe, as well as those around me. I took my eye of the ball. Well, more importantly, I didn’t take care of myself and my stuff. Driving can be extremely tedious as can sitting at a desk all day; it is easy to forget to do the basics, the basic functions that are necessary. Like eating when you should or sleeping when you can.

...Or caring about the candidate experience, delivering send-outs as promised, following up, paying vendors or split partners, maintaining a database…, yep, seems pretty elemental to me. It really isn’t though, look around…, read a tweet or two, talk to potential clients, ask past candidates. The responses you receive may not paint our industry in the best light. When you can’t even perform the basics, how can you retain clients and customers, or even keep your job? Additionally, how can you proclaim what makes you different? Be different by simply performing the functions of your job. It’s not always about being the big biller.

© by rayannethorn

Views: 65

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am glad that you and the other lady were ok. Nice point about remembering to do all the the little things, because really, there aren't any 'little' things.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Subscribe

All the recruiting news you see here, delivered straight to your inbox.

Just enter your e-mail address below

Webinar

RecruitingBlogs on Twitter

© 2024   All Rights Reserved   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service