Awarded Recruiter but lacking in self marketing - Would you hire?

Dear Friends,

Recently i got an opportunity in my team and i was interviewing some recruiters. I came across a candidate who was not able to present him as a must hire,he was OK in the interview process. But by the awards he got in his current company, the number of hires he is quoting and the recommendations he has on LinkedIn from his immediate managers and some business stakeholders are compelling me to hire him. This guy is working with his present organization from last 3 years and got 4 awards 2 being the yearly performance awards and rest bi annually which is quite commendable. To get these awards, a recruiter must be good in the overall recruitment+ business interfacing. I checked the authenticity of these awards and it is also fine.

Have you ever experienced such dilemma where the track record of any candidate is very impressive and as the candidate doesn't speak much and would give you only the answer of what you have asked and doesn't go round on round or in other words this candidate lacks in the self marketing.

Would you hire him.

Views: 182

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I would try and talk to some of his managers, co-workers, clients, and/or candidates he worked with to see what kind of reference they give him. Also, perhaps you should consider a second meeting with him. See if he is still gives you the same feel - maybe he was a little off the other time. 

p.s. I can't stand the ones who go round and round - sometimes they are never answering what I asked!

Hi Amber,

Thanks for sharing on thoughts on this. I checked with his manager (coincidentally one of my friend). I was speaking him one day and checked about that guy showing i don't know that he report into him. So what he said is like - He is GEM as a person and as a reportee. But the only issue with him is that he don't speak much, don't know how to do the self marketing. He earned whatever he is right now.

Somewhere i feel pity on this candidate and recommended him to work on his self marketing skills. It is a very bad situation for him. He is doing a fab job in his current organization, but lack of his skill on self marketing may not move him ahead in his current organization and outside.

Going to hire him. :)

Maybe your style of working with him will help him improve this area. Sometimes getting positive feedback and being shown the way to start doing those type of tasks brings the experience he needs. Good luck with your new hire!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Subscribe

All the recruiting news you see here, delivered straight to your inbox.

Just enter your e-mail address below

Webinar

RecruitingBlogs on Twitter

© 2024   All Rights Reserved   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service