What is the biggest and/or most common mistake you wish you could have avoided?

Views: 106

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Biggest > It only happened to me once, I didn't get a chance to talk to the wife about her and the childrens' feelings about relocation and the job her husband was considering, and in the final hour it was too late. Dealbreaker. Never again.
Big question: After they talked you in from the ledge, Did you end up making the placement?

Sandra McCartt said:
Not listening to the little voice in my head that starts telling me my candidate is a nut case who seemed normal and capable through the first two interviews. Just had one blow up that was a 200K offer, the candidate started insisting on going back in for another meeting but kept changing the travel schedule and asking to speak with more and more people. After three changes he sent an email that he had changed his flight to later and had decided to take another job. Why later instead of canceling? Who knows. There were alarm bells going off during the last two conversations with him that i ignored because there was already an offer on the table. Hindsight i should have stopped the process the second change of travel when the problem was boarding the dogs. Arrrgghh.
well get into discussions and much more...
logone to www.hrvillage.in
"The smarter the nut, the crazier they are and the higher maintenance they become."

Very true. I've had this happen twice in my life - I allowed myself to listen to the "siren calls" of two of these. Both female, both needy, both extravagantly high maintenance. I ignored the voice in my head that told me the second was like the first because she was so insistent (and sometimes alot of fun to listen to!) and there's something lacking in my own character around the ability to say "no". Never again. There's no way to "diplomatically" handle people like these - they will bite the hand that fed them every single time!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Subscribe

All the recruiting news you see here, delivered straight to your inbox.

Just enter your e-mail address below

Webinar

RecruitingBlogs on Twitter

© 2024   All Rights Reserved   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service