Copy of email received from my mum of all people? :)

THE SPOILED UNDER-30 CROWD

When I was a kid, adults used to bore me to tears with their tedious diatribes about how hard things were when they were growing up; what
with walking twenty-five miles to school every morning...

Uphill... barefoot... BOTH ways!

Yadda, yadda, yadda.

And I hate to say it, but you kids today don't know how good you've got it!

I mean, when I was a kid we didn't have The Internet. If we wanted to know something, We had to go to the damn library and look it up ourselves, in the card catalogue!!

There was no email!! We had to actually write somebody a letter, with a pen!

Then you had to walk all the way across the street and put it in the mailbox and it would take like a week to get there! Stamps were 10
cents!

Child Protective Services didn't care if our parents beat us. As a matter of fact, the parents of all my friends also had permission to
kick our ass! No where was safe!

There were no MP3' s or Napsters! If you wanted to steal music, you had to hitchhike to the damn record store and shoplift it yourself!

Or you had to wait around all day to tape it off the radio and the DJ'd usually talk over the beginning and @#*% it all up!

There were no CD players! We had tape decks in our car. We'd play our favorite tape and "eject" it when finished and the tape would come
undone.

We didn't have fancy crap like Call Waiting! If you were on the phone and somebody else called they got a busy signal, that's it!

And we didn't have fancy Caller ID either!

When the phone rang, you had no idea who it was! It could be your school, your mom, your boss, your Bookie, your drug dealer, a
collections agent, you just didn't know!!! You had to pick it up and take your chances, mister!

We didn't have any fancy Sony Playstation video games with high-resolution 3-D graphics! We had the Atari 2600! With games like
'Space Invaders' and 'asteroids'. Your guy was a little square! You actually had to use your imagination!! And there were no multiple levels
or screens, it was just one screen forever!

And you could never win. The game just kept getting harder and harder and faster and faster until you died! Just like LIFE!

You had to use a little book called a TV Guide to find out what was on!

You were screwed when it came to channel surfing! You had to get off your ass and walk over to the TV to change the channel!

There was no Cartoon Network either! You could only get cartoons on Saturday Morning. Do you hear what I'm saying!?! We had to wait ALL WEEK for cartoons, you spoiled little rat-bastards!

And we didn't have microwaves, if we wanted to heat something up we had to use the stove ... Imagine that!

That's exactly what I'm talking about! You kids today have got it too easy.

You're spoiled. You guys wouldn't have lasted five minutes back in 1980 or before!

Regards,

The Over-30 Crowd

Views: 100

Replies to This Discussion

This sounds more like the over 50 crowd...
Bravo!
ditto

Sal Petrara, CPC said:
This sounds more like the over 50 crowd...
Dude, you forgot suitcase cell phones & maps!

Kids and teenagers didn't get cell phones, only businessmen had them. And they cost a ton and came in a suitcase! Then they got better and just looked like a stupid CB radio. Do you even know what a CB radio is?

We didn't have GPS units either... so if you wanted to take a road trip you had to go buy maps at the bookstore and learn to read a compass. Otherwise you could take a wrong turn and end up taking a "short cut" road that also had no gas stations for 50 miles.

Two dollars worth of gas could actually get you to the beach and back!

We had to live with the cold war as kids.... we had to do nuke bomb drills at school... not just fire drills, but END OF THE WORLD DRILLS! We had TV movies like RED DAWN to scare the crap out of us, and make even little kids want to go join the NRA. Books like the Animal Farm, 1984, and Farenheit 451 were required reading in junior high. And everyone remembered when Kruschev died and Gorbachov took over the USSR- we were glad the nut job didn't have his hand on "the button" anymore, and finally we wouldn't have someone threaten us weekly with annihilation.

Most of the stuff at WALMART had 'MADE in the USA" on the label.

By the way, although we didn't really get broad access to the internet until 1996, but we did have BBS's and they were cool - but they charged by the minute. When we finally did get the internet we also had to pay for it by the minute too!
This is all very relevant to me and I am 43....under 30 might be pushing it

RSS

Subscribe

All the recruiting news you see here, delivered straight to your inbox.

Just enter your e-mail address below

Webinar

RecruitingBlogs on Twitter

© 2024   All Rights Reserved   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service