This is a pretty good article that Yahoo! posted in regards to the top 10 outdated career advice.  I still see every point on there on a weekly basis...even the snailmail resume...didn't realize there were people still out there without email.

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/power-your-future/ignore-10-outdated...

Views: 545

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If i see one more one page functional resume with a gobblegoop summary of what somebody has done in the course of five jobs with a laundry list of companies and dates at the bottom i am going to scream. 

There is no such thing as outdated career advice--just narrow-minded people in temporary positions of authority, who in turn, will eventually also be judged by narrow-minded people in temporary positions of authority...and so it goes.

I think technical people who have to describe not only what they did but the various tools they used might need three pages.

I think you should print your resume out and bring it with you to the interview in case the interviewer misplaces the resume.  However, you don't have to use ultra special paper for that.  Resumes should be submitted electronicaly and from that it is established if a in person interview is waranted. 

I think it is OK to use an objective if you indeed have a specific objective that you are focused on.  However, realize that this will narrow the field for you and exclude you from some positions, if that is alright with you then go for it.  For everyone else who might be flexible a summary is great. 

I think when it comes to those cliche interview questions like weaknesses, etc. it is more important to be likable because there is no one right answer. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Subscribe

All the recruiting news you see here, delivered straight to your inbox.

Just enter your e-mail address below

Webinar

RecruitingBlogs on Twitter

© 2024   All Rights Reserved   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service