Hi All,

I keep getting stumped with this re-occurring issue and would love to know how others handle it

I will receive a response to my initial outreach saying "please send me the company name. I'd like to know the company before deciding to set up a call. if I'm interested I'll schedule a time to talk"

Issue:

99% of the time I send the company name and I never here back from the person

It doesn't give me the opportunity to sell the person on the opportunity and give them the big picture

The person can just take the name and apply directly

Question:

What is the best way to respond to get the person to hop on a call with me without putting them off in reply to the above.

Please help.

Views: 269

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If a candidate is not willing to speak with you on the phone, they're not serious.  I wouldn't waste my time with them.  Try to be flexible in your scheduling.  Maybe a candidate has a job and can only take a call in the evening or weekends.

I say, "I'd be happy to share that with you during our phone call."

If they don't get back with me, that's OK, they aren't serious.  Any candidate that doesn't respect that isn't worth pursuing. Period.

Found it. Thank you!. So in other words if a candidate isn't open to hopping on a call with me I should just move on? I was hoping there may be a better way to respond that would lead them to get on a call with me.

Linda Ferrante said:

If they don't get back with me, that's OK, they aren't serious.  Any candidate that doesn't respect that isn't worth pursuing. Period.

Thank you Jim! Most candidates I speak to aren't actively looking for something new. My job is to turn a passive candidate active and the only way to do that is for me to get them on the phone. Is there a line you use in response to them asking for a company name? Do you just say - Im happy to share it live and can be flexible to your schedule after work hours if thats easier?

Jim Fell said:

If a candidate is not willing to speak with you on the phone, they're not serious.  I wouldn't waste my time with them.  Try to be flexible in your scheduling.  Maybe a candidate has a job and can only take a call in the evening or weekends.

Well, it seems they already let you know they wanted to be in control of the situation. These situations never end well.  I'm not going to chase a candidate just to have a conversation to find out they aren't right.  I'll pursue maybe two steps, but after that, I'm out.  I want to talk to a candidate who is actually interested in the opportunity, not in wasting my time or trying to go for a power struggle over a recruiter.  It may sound jaded, but we have an excellent successful placement rate and I attribute it to finding candidates that are excited about the opportunity/future and not just meh about it.  Hope this helps, Stacey!

Stacey (Hecht) Byrne said:

Found it. Thank you!. So in other words if a candidate isn't open to hopping on a call with me I should just move on? I was hoping there may be a better way to respond that would lead them to get on a call with me.

Linda Ferrante said:

Thank you so much Linda. I the gist of what I'm getting is that don't bother with those that won't speak to me live. I have to just move on. Thank you!!

Linda Ferrante said:

Well, it seems they already let you know they wanted to be in control of the situation. These situations never end well.  I'm not going to chase a candidate just to have a conversation to find out they aren't right.  I'll pursue maybe two steps, but after that, I'm out.  I want to talk to a candidate who is actually interested in the opportunity, not in wasting my time or trying to go for a power struggle over a recruiter.  It may sound jaded, but we have an excellent successful placement rate and I attribute it to finding candidates that are excited about the opportunity/future and not just meh about it.  Hope this helps, Stacey!

Stacey (Hecht) Byrne said:

Linda Ferrante said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Subscribe

All the recruiting news you see here, delivered straight to your inbox.

Just enter your e-mail address below

Webinar

RecruitingBlogs on Twitter

© 2024   All Rights Reserved   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service