So I was at home last night working when I get this peculiar email from an individual:

Subject: You're my new pet project

Body:

Unfortunately I'm very busy. Working.

However, when I have free time, hundreds of thousand of recruiters will be taking a poll (not hosted on myspace, but on a custom domain) as to the professionalism of slandering a consultant who takes 6 month contracts simply because 6 months after he was looking for a job, he's looking again. My resume shows a solid track record of finding work in all markets. And your own blog admits having downtime.

You've pissed of someone who has one of the largest contact lists in the business.

F--- off.

Now I'm of course confused so I ask what blog he is talking about, since I know for a fact I have never blogged about a candidate, or even really vented on blogs on recruiting in general. I do moderate a semi-inactive recruiters group on Myspace with about 300 people, so it's possible that's where he came across me since he mentions Myspace. He then proceeds to explain his "brilliant" detective work on how he found my email address (not hard, I have a pretty public online presence). He then explains that he is going to set up the following poll and send it to all of his contacts:

1. When receiving a resume, Chris should assume that:

A. If he doesn't have a job for this guy, noone does B. He's one of 100,000 recruiters and the guy will probably find work

2. Regardless of his opinion above, it is:

A. Professional for Chris to share it on the internet B. Unprofessional for him to share it on the internet

3. If Chris suddenly stops receiving the resume for 6 months straight he should assume

A. The loser gave up
B. The guy found a 6 month contract

4. If he sees the resume again later he should

A. Slander the guy publicly
B. Keep his opinions where they belong.

5. In a market where tens of very hardworking, very professional recruiters are without work, Chris should

A. Have a job
B. Not have one

6. Should Chris be fired?

A. Yes
B. No

He follows it up with:

"I'm going to have fun, Chris. You deserve it."

Now, how do I address this situation? I have specific emails from him documenting a specific desire to bash my credibility, and he has yet to provide any substantiation of his claims. Is there anything I can do about this?

Has anyone ever had anything like this happen to them?

Views: 478

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hmm...interesting. I might consider to monitor this one silently (never roll around with a pig in the mud; you'll just get dirty and the pig will like it), and act with an attorney if his words become slander that you can prove have damaged your reputation and, as a result, your income.

Annoying people go away. Eventually.
I agree Claudia. That's why I'm not mentioning his name... I told him good luck with his poll and let me know how it works out, and of course I suggested it would not be a good idea to use my full name...

I guess on the plus side it means SOMEONE is looking at my Myspace group, haha...

Claudia Faust said:
Hmm...interesting. I might consider to monitor this one silently (never roll around with a pig in the mud; you'll just get dirty and the pig will like it), and act with an attorney if his words become slander that you can prove have damaged your reputation and, as a result, your income.

Annoying people go away. Eventually.
Wow, man. To me it sounds like a guy on a power trip and in a bad mood. Myspace is a public domain, that being said here are two points to consider: 1) freedom of speech--if you ranted (which you claim you did not and I believe you but if anyone were to rant online...) the guy doesn't have a case bc seems like you know not to use a full name and if he doesn't like what was said, he can ignore it. Realistically, how many people are going to consult your myspace group before hiring the guy? No damage done to him--he's just trippin. 2) EVERYONE--Keep your personal and business social networking sites seperate--always. For anyone reading, if you request me on myspace or on LinkedIn I will say no. Not because I don't like you but professionalism and common sense tells me you do not tie your candidates, colleagues, and personal networking together. Imagine the scene in Ghost Busters where they cross the three laser beams and blow up a building.

If the dude keeps it up, just tell him he doesn't have a case, can't provide evidence of your supposed slander, and you'll contact a lawyer because now you have a case against him! If that does not work tie garlic around your neck and nail a cross over your bed. Sounds like this guy's a handful.
Don't cross the streams!! hahaha

See_Jane_Recruit said:
Wow, man. To me it sounds like a guy on a power trip and in a bad mood. Myspace is a public domain, that being said here are two points to consider: 1) freedom of speech--if you ranted (which you claim you did not and I believe you but if anyone were to rant online...) the guy doesn't have a case bc seems like you know not to use a full name and if he doesn't like what was said, he can ignore it. Realistically, how many people are going to consult your myspace group before hiring the guy? No damage done to him--he's just trippin. 2) EVERYONE--Keep your personal and business social networking sites seperate--always. For anyone reading, if you request me on myspace or on LinkedIn I will say no. Not because I don't like you but professionalism and common sense tells me you do not tie your candidates, colleagues, and personal networking together. Imagine the scene in Ghost Busters where they cross the three laser beams and blow up a building.

If the dude keeps it up, just tell him he doesn't have a case, can't provide evidence of your supposed slander, and you'll contact a lawyer because now you have a case against him! If that does not work tie garlic around your neck and nail a cross over your bed. Sounds like this guy's a handful.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Subscribe

All the recruiting news you see here, delivered straight to your inbox.

Just enter your e-mail address below

Webinar

RecruitingBlogs on Twitter

© 2024   All Rights Reserved   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service