Has anyone worked with a Home Based Recruiting company and/or worked as a recruiter from home for a staffing organization? What are the pros and cons? I am considering expanding my business by offering this option and wanted to get some feedback.

Thanks you.

Views: 1432

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Are you asking what are the pros and cons of hiring virtual staff?

Ryan,

Yes, I am interested on some of the pros and cons of hiring virtual staff. Additionally, some nuances that I would have to consider if I decide to go in that direction.

Hiring virtual staff can be a challenge. There are many pro's and con's. I will send this to a few people in the community that have this experience. 

Have you tried to take part in a Split Network? We ran a webinar on this very topic last month on Recruiting Blogs. Here is the link: Click Here

You can try FeeTrader who was our partner for this event: Click Here

If you're looking to participate in a National Recruiting group, I would recommend Top Echelon. Excellent reputation with many recruiters ready to do splits!

I'm a home based recruiter and have been for over 4 years in a variety of unique capacities. I know a few others like myself who are all very senior.  I think the Pro and Con are obvious but I'll just list them out anyway.  It's the gorilla in the room nobody wants to talk about right?

Pros:

For the Recruiter -

1. Save $$ on gas, clothes, lunches.  

2. Save time on commuting 2 hours p/day, getting dressed.  

3. Freedom to utilize and self manage own time.  For instance, go to Costco on Tuesday afternoons for an hour when nobody is there.  Get a haircut wednesday morning when the place is empty, etc.

For the Business -

1. Save on office space overhead, printers, equipment, phone, office supplies, etc.

2. No lame accidents or flat tire excuses from employees

3. Use Skype or other electronic communications to stay connected as co-workers

4. Reach your recruiters 24/7 not just during normal business hours.

5. Possible (although not probable) higher performance

Cons:

For Recruiter -

1. Your home is your office.  It can get to you.

2. Time management is a high level skill set most don't do very well

3. You'll find yourself working at night (shoot...its 10:39 PM and I'm writing a recruiting blog post!)

4. Performance may start to slip and you'll also go insane

For the Business -

1. You have to find ways to keep your recruiters motivated and feeling connected

2. Time management is a high level skill even for managers.  Doing this effectively with recruiters is a high level skill

3. Do you know how to pick-em?  The work-at home option isn't good for everyone.  You have to pick the right recruiters.  It's a different animal who will be successful working from home vs. the one who thrives in the structure of your office. Most of the time they themselves won't know which one they are (although they may think that they do).  Different habitats for different species.  One size does not fit all.

4. Considerable risk.

5. You need good tools, ATS, communications technology, regular meetings, tracking, etc. to ensure productivity.

Ryan, thanks. I'll have to review your link. Jim, I hadn't consider a split, but it's something to chew on. Joshua, this is the feedback that I was looking for. I know there is a huge push for the workforce to telecommute; however, I do have reservations.... in fact, they were elegantly spelled out in your response. I'll have to do more due diligence.

Has anyone seen it done, successfully?

The beauty in blogs is free input form the people who may know what they're talking about.  The problem, you don't know which ones actually know what they're talking about.  Good luck Ryan.

If you want to chat, go ahead and email me.  MyRecruiterJosh@yahoo.com

Kalonji Mitchell said:

Ryan, thanks. I'll have to review your link. Jim, I hadn't consider a split, but it's something to chew on. Joshua, this is the feedback that I was looking for. I know there is a huge push for the workforce to telecommute; however, I do have reservations.... in fact, they were elegantly spelled out in your response. I'll have to do more due diligence.

Has anyone seen it done, successfully?

Joshua - I love this comment:

Performance may start to slip and you'll also go insane.

Glad you liked that.... real life is more interesting than fiction I tell ya!  You should check out the exchange on another blog... something about whether this recruiter should send another candidate when...oh my...his client is ALREADY interviewing ONE!....quite the drama over there on that blog.  You'll get a kick out of it.

Jerry Albright said:

Joshua - I love this comment:

Performance may start to slip and you'll also go insane.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Subscribe

All the recruiting news you see here, delivered straight to your inbox.

Just enter your e-mail address below

Webinar

RecruitingBlogs on Twitter

© 2024   All Rights Reserved   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service