Dear Recruiting Friends.

I need recruiters to be guests for my online radio show - The Recruiting Animal Show

Last year I had a lot of non-recruiters as guests and the show suffered as a result.

So, if you want to be a guest let me know. If not I will come after you myself.

You can read my letter to prospective guests here. http://OccupyRecruiting.com

You can find clips from the show there as well.

The full show protocol is described here: http://AnimalShowIntro.com

I even tell you how to be a good guest here: http://GoodInterview.biz

Sign on. Be Bold. Let me know.

I'm on Twitter at @animal. My email is <recruitinganimal@gmail.com>

You can also reply to this posting. And remember, you can hide but I will find you. I need recruiter-guests and I'm going to get them.

Regards from me.

PS: You can listen to my Jan 09 show right here on RBC - http://www.recruitingblogs.com/profiles/blogs/daryl-daley-it-recruiter

And Tiffany Branch went directly from this discussion to a starring role on the Jan 16 2013 Recruiting Animal Show. You can listen to her here - http://www.recruitingblogs.com/profiles/blogs/tiffany-branch-corpor...

Views: 2958

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

That's interesting Paul. I've been a guest twice and while my klout score hasn't gone up I've made lots of new friends, had a fabulous time, and everyone (clients, peers, and candidates) who heard either of my appearances have been both entertained and impressed.

Then again I've been the sort to give two craps about my so-called "brand" :) It's not for everyone, I get that and Animal does a great job or warning people. I'd recommend it to anyone who isn't afraid to have their professional beliefs questioned and is confident enough to push back. I'd be a guest again any time without question.

Paul Wall said:

Who wants to go on a show like this and destroy their brand? I listened to a few episodes of the show and was floored at how this guy called Animal bludgeoned his guest. Though I personally find the show entertaining, I would not go on or recommend any of my colleagues for the show. I believe there is a better way to earn ad dollars than using guest as "punching bags"- Who wins? Certainly not the guest!  

That's equally interesting Amy, however you have to ask yourself this question... Why is he having such a difficult time finding recruiters to come his show? At the end day, if you are not attracting preferred guests, then you have to change the approach, don't you think? You should avoid being a clone, give this guy some real feedback, he needs it! By the way I do agree with you regarding the questioning of ones beliefs, however, this is precisely the problem? He can't get recruiters to be a guest on his show because they don't want to be denigrated. People have to cease seeing the world as they are and but as it really is, right?

P Wall 

Thanks for the feedback, Paul. I guess it's not 4U. But, you know, the show's been going for a few years and I challenge you to find someone who's ruined their brand. I mean let's do a reality check before we make a big claim.

Paul, I've been having a difficult time because I haven't looked. I just kind of want my guests to come to me. This note was my last shot at passive recruiting. Now I have to go out and ask people. Interested? haha! PS: ät the end of the day is an Animal Bad Word - see http://animalbadwords.com - you're not allowed to use hackneyed phrases on the show.

While I've only sporadically listened to the show, I generally find it interesting and full of diverse content. True, it may not be for everyone, but I know animal does a thorough job informing prospective guests about the format and tone of the show in advance.

I'm with Amy on the concept of not giving much of a *** about brand. Some of us have thick enough skin to share our thoughts, ideas, opinions, etc., without worrying about being PC or seeking the approval of whoever may disapprove of  the status of our brand.

Part of the "charm" of the show (IMHO) is the differing points of view and/or not letting the guest just say something superficial without backing up or clarifying their position on a topic. Yes, animal does get a bit riled up on a tangent sometimes, but I don't think it causes any harm to the guest. 

Animal's an original - he has no "clones". He gets plenty of pushback from animal show regulars... in fact we normally ding him pretty good. Guess he's not worried about messing up his brand lol.

I'd love to hear about guests who have been damaged by appearing. Everyone I know who's been on have enjoyed it and in some cases come back for more. My first appearance my after show score was like a billion (thanks Astringer). So I guess the guest won that round. :)

I second what Kelly said - that's what I love most about the show - people are allowed, no - encouraged to be real. Just e ready to back it up.

Paul Wall said:

That's equally interesting Amy, however you have to ask yourself this question... Why is he having such a difficult time finding recruiters to come his show? At the end day, if you are not attracting preferred guests, then you have to change the approach, don't you think? You should avoid being a clone, give this guy some real feedback, he needs it! By the way I do agree with you regarding the questioning of ones beliefs, however, this is precisely the problem? He can't get recruiters to be a guest on his show because they don't want to be denigrated. People have to cease seeing the world as they are and but as it really is, right?

P Wall 

Kelly, how many shows have you been on so far? Take the filters off and give this guy some real feedback, not what he wants to hear. Animal, you need to do better than the 2-6 member panel scoring system you have at the end of your show. That does absolutely nothing ... You need a much larger sample size to get quality feedback. Your regulars are hurting you, why are they not referring their colleagues on a regular basis? You see, with 3 years under your belt, you should always be in a passive lead generation mode. It's just to bad folks are not willing to take the filters off and give you what you need.

P Wall
Facebook? Come on Animal...lol.
The hypothesis has been advanced that being on a goofy blog talk radio show ,listened to by a smattering of recruiters ,can destroy this narcissistic creation that has appeared in the past few years referred to by those who believe in it, as a "brand".

Please describe the manner in which this might happen? Please describe who would be so influenced by the chatter that goes on during this less than an hour yakking that they would make a judgement about this perception of this thing so reverently idolized as a "brand". In the event that this "brand" should exist ,other than in mind of the believer in their own "brand", someone might disparage it as a result of a blog talk show..please describe the real world affect of the damage.

Could a recruiter lose a client, a friend, a colleague, a candidate as a result of coming off like a boring duck, freezing up as most people do when they hear " on the air", being perceived as a walking ego with a "brand" and a pet unicorn?

How would that work Paul, you have advanced the theory, please postulate to prove up your hypothesis, any examples of "brand damage" would be germane if related to a one time appearance on something most people have never heard of and don't listen to unless they happen to be involved in recruiting and don't have anything to do in the middle of the day on whatever day the show airs.

My "brand" awaits your edification in apprehension of what horror might befall it.
How many shows have you tuned in to? Listen the guest, hear how they respond and in some instances what they say when they respond. There you will find postulation for this claim. For those who believe brand doesn't matter, I challenge you to see if you would be nearly as successful without it. You see your name is your name ask the Enron's and Lehman Brothers of the world. Would you like another one? Bernie Madoff- who would ever do business with that guy if they could? Do you believe going on a show an getting your values and beliefs questioned help build the brand? Most would say no, don't you think?

P Wall
Can't give you an actual number but as a Regular listener don't think I have ever heard anyone who said anything that sent them down in flames. If your examples are limited to Madoff, Enron and Lehman as to destroying their "brand". I would suggest to you that their reputation was destroyed by criminal activity , high risk investment followed by a coverup and not by some blah, blah on a talk show. if animal has ever had Barney on the show or anyone from Enron I must have missed it.

The only example I can think of who might have tarnished himself was the idiot who went on the shows and bragged about having 27 bogus profiles on Facebook to get around their rules. If someone is bragging about breaking rules or being a crook there are some of us who find that behavior offensive but there were many who didn't seem to have. Problem with it because they felt the rules were stupid.

I have been reasonably successful in the recruiting world for over 35 years, never gave a thought to a "brand". My values and beliefs are open to challenge at anytime and don't make a tinkers damn to any of my clients or candidates unless of course they felt like I were more interested in building a "brand" than I am in doing what they retain me to do. I could go on the animal show and read the phone book, bore the fillings out of the listeners teeth or profess to believe in unicorns and the tooth fairy and it would have absolutely no affect on my clients. All of us are judged by our interaction with our clients on a daily basis not by whatever smoke we blow or not on social media

If you are consumed with worry about saying something that could destroy this thing some want to call a "brand", best thing to do is be very quiet. To me a brand is something you stick on a cows butt so you can find your own cows after a snow storm when they get mixed up with all the other brown ones in the county. The reputatation for producing good beef is built over years of consistently producing a good steak. A brand is only a name, a reputation is built by results not on value systems or beliefs. Some of the biggest losers I know still spout how great they are but can't back it up. Some of the biggest winners I know would look at you like a deer in the headlights if asked to articulate their values and beliefs. Just do their job and do very well.

My take is that the animal show doesn't have the power to either hurt or help much of anything. It's entertainment within a segment of an industry. Sometimes interesting or entertaining, sometimes boring, sometimes funny, some good ideas from time to time but hardly "brand shattering".

RSS

Subscribe

All the recruiting news you see here, delivered straight to your inbox.

Just enter your e-mail address below

Webinar

RecruitingBlogs on Twitter

© 2024   All Rights Reserved   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service