"...unemployment is insanely high for older people: Yesterday, Fox News reported that the unemployment rate for people over 50 is nearing 50%."

Anyone have info on this?

Views: 59

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Maureen-

Hope you had a good Thanksgiving...

Unfortunately this information doesn't at all surprise me.

There has been a wave of this "get rid of the over 50 crowd" for years.

This is very prominent in certain parts of the country, namely Silicon Valley and the Greater Boston area...

As a contract recruiter I've seen a lot of this over the past 4-5 years and been impacted by it personally. Certain industries are worse than others...

When companies use buzzwords like "energetic" or "fit the culture" these can be warning signs...

I completed an assignment less than a year ago where the CEO was in his early forties and wanted all his direct hires to be between 25-35.

This company is a subsidiary of a larger corporation...the subsidiary practiced age discrimination...yet the parent company did not...I saw this "up close and personal" with candidates I sent them whom the subsidiary wouldn't hire yet the parent would...

This news is not the least bit shocking because I've lived it...

~Anon
Maureen,

This link is the best that I could find, ftp://ftp.bls.gov/pub/special.requests/lf/aat3.txt, and for 2007. Monthly statistics do a little by age, 16, 20 and over 25 but nothing so specific as 50+ that I am aware of.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Subscribe

All the recruiting news you see here, delivered straight to your inbox.

Just enter your e-mail address below

Webinar

RecruitingBlogs on Twitter

© 2024   All Rights Reserved   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service