I'm sitting here in a hotel lobby in Boston thinking about the first placement I made when I started my recruiting firm in 1997.

The company made an offer that we were going to extend to the candidate. The client was mine and the candidate was recruited by my wife. It was about 10:30 my time. The fee was going to be 17k.

So it's about 10:30 pm and I give the good news to my wife who is almost asleep in bed. She say's great, I'll call the candidate in the morning. I say what are you talking about, we have an offer on the table now and we need to get a verbal acceptance from the candidate now. I said get up, lets make a deal.

I then scripted out exactly what I wanted said and how it was that I wanted the script to be delivered, I rarely ever made an important call without it being scripted. We went over the script and then she made the call. She got the acceptance and it all worked out. 17k fee.

What about your first placement? How did it go down. I know you remember.

Views: 339

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I was about a month into starting my recruiting business, and identified a guy for a job in Montreal. He had to move from Toronto to Montreal for a middle management position. He quit his job, given notice at his company, and had started to arrange his move. About two weeks before his hire, the client called to tell me that the position had been eliminated. I had to call the candidate tell him what happened and hope he could get his job back or another job after leaving his job.

Luckily, he got his job back, and I still got paid for the recruit. This was a nice entry into the field of recruiting.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Subscribe

All the recruiting news you see here, delivered straight to your inbox.

Just enter your e-mail address below

Webinar

RecruitingBlogs on Twitter

© 2024   All Rights Reserved   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service