Just wanted to introduce myself to the board, and get some advice.  I have over 10 years of hands on IT experience, most recently as a System/Network Engineer with HP.  I'm pretty well versed with most technologies, and want to make a go at IT Recruiting.  I landed a position with a small firm. 

The problem I have with my current employer is their train program, or lack of.  I was given about two days of time with the existing recruiters, then left on my own.  No problem...I'm use to independent work; however, I thought that I would be given more training, scripts, leads, goals, etc.?  I've voiced my concerns, but haven't received any real direction.  I was told to just make 50 calls a day, and submit 3 candidates a day.

It this the norm?  I know that I'll make a good recruiter.  I'm not looking for someone to hold my hand; just a bit more training.  Thanks in advance.

Bryan Keith

Views: 383

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey Bryan,

Welcome and congrats on the career change. :) Sadly your story is all too familiar. I used to keep some old proverb posted on my dream board when I first started recruiting - "the work will teach you how to do it" or something to that effect. Some larger firms have lengthy training programs, which can be great, but the downside is different things work for different people... So the best training out there still may not be right for YOU.

My best advice is find a mentor or two (in your office or elsewhere) and do a lot of reading on your own. I learned a lot by reading and webinars from Barb Bruno, Scott Love, Lou Adler, Tony Byrne and even paid full price for Bill Radin's "Recruiters Almanac" which is a book of scripts. For sales - Jeffrey Gitomer.

The good news for you is at least you know what's expected - 50 dials and 3 submissions. It's easier to work towards a specific goal than to just be hanging out wondering if you're wasting your time. (hint - conversations with candidates that teach you something, even something negative like that candidate is a kook! are never a waste of time).

Good luck and feel free to message me any time!

Thanks Amy.  I'll find a mentor, and continue reading up on recruiting.  I'll keep you posted.  Happy Holiday.

Bryan, welcome aboard. What type of materials do you need? We have them here.

Thanks Ryan.  Any information is good at this point.  I'm new so point me in the right direction.  I'm thinking info. on scripts, metrics...  I'll comb this site as well. Thanks in advance.  

I'm new to IT recruiting too. Thankfully I'm getting some great training.

I suggest you read this book. $3 on google play. "

Technology Made Simple for the Technical Recruiting" by Obi Ogbanufe

I found that this book made it easy for me to break in to the industry. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm pretty tech savvy, but most of my experience is in Sales. This book help me understand the mindset of my candidates.

Thanks Nick.  Not bad for $3.

Nick Roman said:

I'm new to IT recruiting too. Thankfully I'm getting some great training.

I suggest you read this book. $3 on google play. "

Technology Made Simple for the Technical Recruiting" by Obi Ogbanufe

I found that this book made it easy for me to break in to the industry. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm pretty tech savvy, but most of my experience is in Sales. This book help me understand the mindset of my candidates.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Subscribe

All the recruiting news you see here, delivered straight to your inbox.

Just enter your e-mail address below

Webinar

RecruitingBlogs on Twitter

© 2024   All Rights Reserved   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service