Question of the day: What is the worst thing a candidate showed up to an interview wearing?

Time for a quick Recruiter rant. Dress for success. It seems this would be common knowledge for most but it is usually included in every interview tip article out there. As part of my send-out candidate prep, I admit to mentioning this tip but does it hold any merit? There are recruiting tales of candidates showing up in sweatpants, golf clothes, surgical scrubs- you name it, but are these just urban legends? It makes for a great Question of the Day: What is the worst thing a candidate showed up to an interview wearing?

Views: 3064

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

A toss up between the guy who had a green glow in the dark tongue piercing and the female CPA who wore orange nail polish with playboy bunnies on each nail. Followed closely by the nerd who wore slacks, blazer and topped it off with a baseball cap that had the name of a competitive company.

I've got countless examples, but my favorite was a lime green velour tracksuit. Lime green sneakers to match and an extremely large diamond chain.

Needless to say, that candidate didn't go into the interview.

Wow everytime I think I have seen it all I am shocked again. Its almost as if you want to take them by the hand and dress them for their interview properly.

Two examples: A guy who showed up in a top hat and cape, and another candiate who wore jeans and hiking boots.

A woman came in wearing a bright red cowboy hat with hair pulled down over her face that matched (not the normal red hair color), red sleeveless turtle neck and black Parachute Pants with combat boots and enough piercings to set off the alarm at any airport.

@Ami - was she applying for 'So you think you can dance'? ; )

On the first occasion a denim mini skirt and see through t-shirt and the second occasion (which was a casual coffee meeting outside the office but still...) a yellow velour tracksuit. And apparently she was under serious consideration for the role!

Oddly enough, it was a suit and tie. The interview was with a company whose attire was very laid back casual/creative beach sort of culture. The candidate, although very qualified and perfect for the position came from a corporate background. My fault for not asking first (I didn't make that mistake again!) CEO asked "Does this guy own a pair of jeans?" after he left!

Had a guy go to a very staid client wearing a very nice suit and tie.  However, he had the dry cleaning tag on the cuff of his suit.  The client mentioned it and he told her, "Oh, yes.  I left it on purposely.  I wanted you to know that I am a clean individual."  That, of course, was the end of the interview.

Stop it! 

Sandra McCartt said:

A toss up between the guy who had a green glow in the dark tongue piercing and the female CPA who wore orange nail polish with playboy bunnies on each nail. Followed closely by the nerd who wore slacks, blazer and topped it off with a baseball cap that had the name of a competitive company.

I love it keep it coming. I could do a whole rant on this topic and what these overly smart people say in interviews

Christopher Poreda said:

Stop it! 

Sandra McCartt said:

Once, a client actually requested "You know, Suzanne, one of those creative types with purple spiked hair and earrings. That's what I want." The position was for creative director..I found several with lots of talent and various genres of clothing.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Subscribe

All the recruiting news you see here, delivered straight to your inbox.

Just enter your e-mail address below

Webinar

RecruitingBlogs on Twitter

© 2024   All Rights Reserved   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service