Question of the day: What is the worst thing you have seen a candidate include on a resume?

Follow up from today's RBC Daily:

Question of the day: What is the worst thing you have seen a candidate include on a resume?

Views: 894

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hands down, a page long profile detailing the candidate's divorce, personal life philosophies, opinions about how people should spend their free time and culminating with sharing the fact he had apologised to his son for bringing him in to the world. You can't make this stuff up.

Their social security number. 

An entire list of all the "no-no's" related to employment law. Everything from religion to birth date (with age so you wouldn't need to calculate); marital status and beyond. I could hear the Star Wars fan screams of "It's a trap!" (if you somehow don't know Admiral Ackbar...).

"Luckily" the candidate was applying for a job they were wholly unqualified for based on actual skill set and the like. I still shudder when I think about it.

It is funny but I have to tell people to not include they are a member of MENSA.  You might assume that MENSA is always a positive, but it is not.  It often times indicates the person is a jerk.  Go ahead be a member of MENSA or a part-time pastor with a church.  But I would not advertise those things on a resume!

Ha! Never would have thought about that - I've never received a "MENSA sponsored resume" but oh boy I hope I do!

Elise Reynolds said:

It is funny but I have to tell people to not include they are a member of MENSA.  You might assume that MENSA is always a positive, but it is not.  It often times indicates the person is a jerk.  Go ahead be a member of MENSA or a part-time pastor with a church.  But I would not advertise those things on a resume!

In the engineering field there are quite a few MENSA members.  

Ah...yes I could see that. Must make for some fun conversations though!

Elise Reynolds said:

In the engineering field there are quite a few MENSA members.  

I've just replied to someone who included waist size on their CV....which is obviously something we judge people on in the science industry!

I have seen where people in a fit of full-disclosure put that they were terminated on their resume.  Not a great way to make a positive first impression!

Not exactly included in their resumes, but sent in emails and on several job boards as resumes.....

1. A 85 page "manifesto" full of conspiracy theory type accusations about specifically named people, companies, etc. that had stolen this persons ideas - not sure what was in the other 84 pages.

2. An entire agreement between 2 corporations, including lots of confidential information and signed authorizations for background, financial, and credit checks, etc.

3. Opened the resume, and it was an email string between a former candidate and several of his family members. Lots of expletives, apparently he was very upset about his arrest and subsequent stay at state physciatric ward. This was emailed to approximately 100 people.

What scares me is that somewhere out there is a company or recruiter that saw some of that and thought..."Wow! What a creative thinker this person is & will be on our team- HIRED!"

Amber said:

Not exactly included in their resumes, but sent in emails and on several job boards as resumes.....

1. A 85 page "manifesto" full of conspiracy theory type accusations about specifically named people, companies, etc. that had stolen this persons ideas - not sure what was in the other 84 pages.

2. An entire agreement between 2 corporations, including lots of confidential information and signed authorizations for background, financial, and credit checks, etc.

3. Opened the resume, and it was an email string between a former candidate and several of his family members. Lots of expletives, apparently he was very upset about his arrest and subsequent stay at state physciatric ward. This was emailed to approximately 100 people.

A disclosure on a resume that the candidate was bi-polar with a footnote asterisk to five pages of the medical description of bi-polar disease, treatment and meds with the meds this candidate was taking highlighted along with their side effects.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Subscribe

All the recruiting news you see here, delivered straight to your inbox.

Just enter your e-mail address below

Webinar

RecruitingBlogs on Twitter

© 2024   All Rights Reserved   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service