I've just received a request for a recommendation on LinkedIn from a recruiter that I barely know, we had coffee a couple of years ago and haven't done any business together.

Should I compliment his ability to drink cappucino and own nice cufflinks?

Which makes me want to ask the bigger question - does LinkedIn's recommendation function contribute anything?

As recruiters we might find additional candidates but even then must endure a gushy, sycophantic torrent of adulation aimed at getting the writer future employment opportunities. I even know of a wife who has recommended her husband.......

Views: 232

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't even know what a gushy, sycophantic torrent of adulation is ( and I used to manage a large technical communications company).

What does it say of you if you have no recommendations though? People, usually candidates, add recommendations to my profile all the time and I am proud of it. I wonder if my husband would give me recommendation.

Feel free to add a recommendation to my LI profile if you liked my response...
Sure, LinkedIn recommendations contribute something. A careful reader can almost always tell when the writer is going through the motions as opposed to when the recommendation is meaningful. Specific recommendations can be pointless as in the example of the wife recommending her husband but the content and number of recommendations can provide at least a little insight.
Well, lets step back one step.. why are they a contact on linkedin if you haven't done business together and only met once. lol
Thomas Shaw said:
Well, lets step back one step.. why are they a contact on linkedin if you haven't done business together and only met once. lol

Do you suggest only linking to people you have slept with Thomas!?!

This instance involves someone I know, who works in my industry, we might do businessin the future and we have a mutually-useful network of contacts....isn't that the purpose?

I think LI is a great tool, I merely question the usefulness of the essay-writing competition that is it's Recommendation function. Having said that, I haven't sent any christmas cards....maybe I should send some festive recommendations instead :)
I even know of a wife who has recommended her husband.......

Uh, for what? [snicker]

Do you suggest only linking to people you have slept with Thomas!?!

Leave Thomas alone; this is private information.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Subscribe

All the recruiting news you see here, delivered straight to your inbox.

Just enter your e-mail address below

Webinar

RecruitingBlogs on Twitter

© 2024   All Rights Reserved   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service