Does anyone else have a hard time reading a resume written in third person?

I might be looking to much into it but when an objective is written in third person i feel like they grabbed some sample objective off some template website.

Views: 2340

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If I get a resume written in the third person, I make one phone call to the idiot, tell him that I will not submit a third person resume because many of my hiring managers think they are obnoxious and trash them. Unless he thinks he can write his own reference about himself and think anybody would not think he was a bit strange we don't do third person resumes. If he argues about it, I tell him I am sorry I can't represent him. My take, they sound arrogant and obnoxious. I feel the same way about people who say "we" when they are the only person in the room and don't represent a group. Right up there with somebody who uses their name instead of "I". Sandra does not like that. :)

It may be a coincidence but I have never seen a woman present a third person resume only men.

lol.

This is so absolutely true. It does look arrogant. 

HAHA I just came across a resume from a woman written in third person but defiantly more guys.

Sandra McCartt said:

If I get a resume written in the third person, I make one phone call to the idiot, tell him that I will not submit a third person resume because many of my hiring managers think they are obnoxious and trash them. Unless he thinks he can write his own reference about himself and think anybody would not think he was a bit strange we don't do third person resumes. If he argues about it, I tell him I am sorry I can't represent him. My take, they sound arrogant and obnoxious. I feel the same way about people who say "we" when they are the only person in the room and don't represent a group. Right up there with somebody who uses their name instead of "I". Sandra does not like that. :)

It may be a coincidence but I have never seen a woman present a third person resume only men.

Just to share a different perspective, there are industries that require this format, namely government contracting. If you don't write it in 3rd, it ends up in the trash. Weird, right?

PS, I hate them too.

This drives Linda crazy!  :)

Seriously, though, this really does drive me crazy.  It's YOUR resume, own it!  Please don't be so pretentious as to think we believe you're so awesome that a TV voice over guy did your resume!

It's YOUR resume, own it.   

Wow. How strange.. I had no clue. Thanks for the facts though, that's good to know.

Stephanie McDonald said:

Just to share a different perspective, there are industries that require this format, namely government contracting. If you don't write it in 3rd, it ends up in the trash. Weird, right?

PS, I hate them too.

One of the strangest interview experiences I ever had was with a candidate (an IT Director of a well known retailer) who presented himself in third person! I kept looking around wondering who else was in the room...Of course, I told the next person on the interview slate (our CEO) who then decided he would go ahead and talk to him for entertainment purposes only. Weird, weird, weird. He did call and tell me "John had found an opportunity that suited him better..." Whew!!!!

Hahahahahaha. that is the best thing I've heard all day!

Jennifer Clanton said:

One of the strangest interview experiences I ever had was with a candidate (an IT Director of a well known retailer) who presented himself in third person! I kept looking around wondering who else was in the room...Of course, I told the next person on the interview slate (our CEO) who then decided he would go ahead and talk to him for entertainment purposes only. Weird, weird, weird. He did call and tell me "John had found an opportunity that suited him better..." Whew!!!!

Thanks Dmitri:-) I also deplore an individual (not the consulting presentation format) resume in 3rd person, and even beyond that, the SIZE of font used for their name at the heading, says A LOT...really anything over 22 is just absurd! 

I'm more worried about the type of professional that would insist on torturing readers with their self-indulging need to sound important.  Personally, I couldn't write my resume in third person and keep a straight face.  "Mr. Mark is a highly seasoned and professional recruiter. His accomplishments inclulde...."   It always makes me think of  those Imperial Margerine commercials..da da da daaaaaa.   

Good point Jennifer. I'll keep that in my back pocket when I don't like someone, lol.

Jennifer Clanton said:

Thanks Dmitri:-) I also deplore an individual (not the consulting presentation format) resume in 3rd person, and even beyond that, the SIZE of font used for their name at the heading, says A LOT...really anything over 22 is just absurd! 

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Mark said:

I'm more worried about the type of professional that would insist on torturing readers with their self-indulging need to sound important.  Personally, I couldn't write my resume in third person and keep a straight face.  "Mr. Mark is a highly seasoned and professional recruiter. His accomplishments inclulde...."   It always makes me think of  those Imperial Margerine commercials..da da da daaaaaa.   

Dmitri Yakovlev said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Mark said:

I guess I'm showing my age, but I remember those commercials and YES it is very like that. Here's to the people that keep us amused!!!!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Subscribe

All the recruiting news you see here, delivered straight to your inbox.

Just enter your e-mail address below

Webinar

RecruitingBlogs on Twitter

© 2024   All Rights Reserved   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service