I came across an interesting article this morning that said 70% of HR directors believe social media platforms are “ineffective” as a recruitment tool or are unsure over its effectiveness. I'm constantly hearing arguments for both sides of this issue. What say you? Has it been very effective for you in recruiting and sourcing? Or is another route better?

article: http://www.hrmagazine.co.uk/hro/news/1072203/seven-hr-directors-shu...

Views: 230

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'll put it this way - whenever I'm in a "must win" situation - Social Media is the last place I go. 

The only effect SM has made is most likely the hundreds of thousands in billings I've missed out on while messing around with Twitter and Facebook.

I get the weather updates on twitter and freeway closings.  Facebook is great to see what my ex is up to and get a dose of politics from Mendoza.  Tried it and found out pretty quickly that it's a time suck so social media is what i do when it's too late to make phone calls and i am blind from reading resumes.  When a client asks me how i find people i tell them that i never use twitter or facebook because i don't want to cheapen their company or position but flopping something out there that they can do themselves.  My fervent hope is that they do try it and waste their time so i can fill their job while they are tweeting and facebooking and pinning junk to a bullentin board.

I did find a great choc. chip cookie receipe on pininterest or however you spell that bulletin board.  I am beginning to wonder if eveybody is so devoid of a life that living in a make believe world or avatars keeps them breathing.

Social media as a tool (in my understanding) is to help deliver your message to the target audience. In the jobs advertising world this has existed for many years as Niche job boards.

So in terms of targeting, Social Media has not really done anything new, except for some new tools (which I like). I don't consider posting jobs on Linkedin groups as Social Media and although job twitter could be effective (but there is so much junk on there) that its a hit or miss still.

Looks like the dust is settling down a bit (after the early hype)..

Great viewpoints, everyone.

Sandra, I got a great chuckle from your choc. chip tidbit :).  I agree about your last point with the make believe world.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Subscribe

All the recruiting news you see here, delivered straight to your inbox.

Just enter your e-mail address below

Webinar

RecruitingBlogs on Twitter

© 2024   All Rights Reserved   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service