In our business, we hear constant commentary about the value and quality of job boards from both job seekers and employers. I thought it would make for a good discussion topic to ask people what are the top 5 worst attributes of bad job boards- any thoughts? That is, if you think of a job board you've used (or decided NOT to use), what are the top 5 reasons why it was so bad?

Here's mine:

1. Too many irrelevant jobs appearing in job searches
2. Not enough information about the employer (or none!)
3. Requirement of job seekers to register in order to apply
4. Too much non-job search related content
5. Not enough UNIQUE postings (such as aggregator sites that scrape jobs that are posted elsewhere, or, more importantly, ONLY have the postings that are already posted somewhere else.)

Okay, there's my 5... and here's my "6th man":
6. Inability to sort resumes adequately.

jb

Views: 595

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi JB,

It is a good discussion topic and I like the fact that all those who have commented have provided different and relevant perspectives as like most things it is never black and white.

I am biased as I have an Executive Job Site, Six Figures, www.sixfigures.com.au. We work on a service based business model rather than a listing based model. The key as some have commented is high quality genuine job ads, with detailed information receive relevant and quality applications. We see it on our site all the time. There are some great generalist and niche job sites that offer both job seekers and advertisers a great service and result in success. Likewise there are those that fail to deliver such a great experience.

You can blame the technology all you want - however it comes back to the users, the information, how the information is managed and the service that is provided. Like the old saying ' a poor tradesman blames his tools ' one has to wonder if this can also apply sometimes in the recruitment context!

Six Figures, www.sixfigures.com.au, the Executive Job Site for high salary earners across the globe to connect with $100K+ jobs from all industries and professions

Kelly Magowan
I totally agree with this and your top 5.

Good work!

Jason C. Blais said:
I have to agree with this one, for sure. I can't tell you how much oxygen I've wasted trying to explain to businesses how important it is to post this info! If company's really don't care about the quality, there's no issue. But when you're trying to attract those A level candidates that are already employed, you'd better post a salary!!!

Thanks Kaphieel!

Kaphieel said:
7. Not all the jobs have the rate/salary info.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Subscribe

All the recruiting news you see here, delivered straight to your inbox.

Just enter your e-mail address below

Webinar

RecruitingBlogs on Twitter

© 2024   All Rights Reserved   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service