Talent Talk Cafe: Week of January 5th - Entering 2009 with a new lens and two Chats: Generations AND Diversity

The beginning of a new year offers opportunities to look at the world through a new lens, reflect on and challenge past thinking. Our first week of Talent Talk Café in 2009 will present you with an opportunity to look at two areas that are not only related but through expanding our minds and how we view them can lead to a stronger workforce for every company. Focusing on them now not only positively impacts today's work environment but also positions companies for a stronger and more competitive future. As recruiters – both corporate and third party, I think you’ll find the Chats thought-provoking and eye-opening as you begin a new year!

Join Talent Talk Café on Tuesday’s and Thursday’s at 3pm ET / 12pm PT and join the conversation to share you thoughts! You can access the full January schedule HERE!

Tuesday, January 6
The Generations! Join me with special guest Kevin Wheeler for an engaging conversation around Generations in the Workplace. Kevin is an expert on Generations, as well as a number of other areas across the talent spectrum, and always brings a unique approach to every conversation. What’s on Kevin’s mind for Tuesday’s Chat…read on!

X, Y, Boomer? Do the Generations Really Matter in Recruiting?

Finding appropriate talent will always be a concern and challenge for organizations – no matter their size or market segment. There has been a lot of hype about the Generations and how much they differ. Some feel that the Generational differences have been exaggerated in branding, in recruiting site design, and in other aspects of recruiting.

Kevin will give you his views and answer questions you have on the importance of Generational differences in recruiting and retention. Some areas he will discuss are over generational likes and dislikes, motivators, and preferred work styles. He will show you research on the Generations and provide some concrete tips on more effectively recruiting any generation.

You can find Kevin on the Future of Talent website, learn more about his work and background on the Global Learning Resources website, through his weekly articles on ERE, and on Twitter.

Thursday, January 8
Diversity! Buried Treasures – Diversity Re-examined! Join guest host Joe Gerstandt and dive into his Buried Treasures conversation – Diversity Re-examined. I continued to be wowed by Joe, his thinking and his approach to building a stronger, more inclusive workplace environment. Join Joe and broaden your lens on what inclusiveness can truly look like. Joe will be weaving the following questions into the Chat and whatever else comes up!

What is diversity?
What does it mean for us individually and to our organizations?
Is there a "business case for diversity"?
What kind of challenges and opportunities does diversity represent to those of us working in talent and workforce management?

Joe's monthly topic area is Buried Treasures - Uncovering Intangible Assets at Work through which he explore "some of the intangible and invisible yet invaluable tools of our work and our relationships". Joe's background includes leading diversity and inclusion strategic practices as well as group collaboration and innovation. You can find Joe on his website - Our Time to Act, and on Twitter for a stream of fun musings.

Views: 127

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Diversity Recruiting. There is a topic that needs A LOT more discussion.
Here's a document I put together just this week about each cultural generation and what they mean, plus a handy chart detailing them.

I did this because I and some colleagues are in the planning stages of creating an online community/group for people in the marketing/advertising/creative professions who wish to network with/learn from other generations to aid their careers.

Judi Wunderlich
Attachments:
Looks like this was a great even.  I've found diversity to be a valuable tool for identifying the talents and abilities of employees and encouraging people to work together more effectively.  It's a great way to get rid of the conflict, reduced productivity, reduced morale and lack of trust that arises from people who don't get along.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Subscribe

All the recruiting news you see here, delivered straight to your inbox.

Just enter your e-mail address below

Webinar

RecruitingBlogs on Twitter

© 2024   All Rights Reserved   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service