I have been in the recruiting field for 15 years and I am curious to discuss and hear the successes and failures of others as they train junior level recruiters.  My company is hiring a few junior recruiters specializing in Information Technology.  I appreciate any advice that can be shared.

Views: 2911

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I would send them to Peter Leffkowitz for basic recruiter training. That would give them a solid foundation for how to really recruit, and interview and work with clients...and how to find people by going direct vs. relying on the job boards. I've been recruiting for years, and the agency I was initially with had all of us go through Peter's training. It's good stuff. I just went to a mini-training of his last month in NYC as a refresher. If I were to hire any junior recruiters, I would definitely do this to give them a solid foundation on which to build. www.morgancg.com

Good luck!
One of things we did when training our staff was have them create their own presentations to present to the rest of the group on different aspects of IT. The most successful ones were overviews of software development and networking. It really forced the Jr. recruiters to make sure they understood the difference between ASP & ASP.Net and how a CCNA and CCIE are different. They did such a good job I actually learned quite a things from their presentations as well.
I would sign them up for Bill Radin's training; it's the best I've seen. Bill explains things very clearly and his training is great for novices and experienced recruiters alike. You can start with checking out some videos from Bill on Youtube.

Teach them about the various user groups that exist for this or that technology..it'll help them learn about the world they are recruiting in, and point them to a pool of candidates.

Saddest thing ever is a new recruiter being told " find me RPG programmers", ( or something similar ) and not knowing what to do next..some types of people are real hard to find by cold calling in. 

I agree with the lefkowitz training, and I can also recommend "breakthrough" by steve finkel. make them join RBC too and have them follow jerry albright. he can cut years off the learning curve.

Thank you all for the suggestions.  I am amazed at the number of resources available.  Over the last year, I have been suprised, with all these resources available, the difficulty recruiters have learning the trade.

It's not easy to learn. the teacher needs to be a good teacher, and the student must be a good student.

It also helps if the newbies aren't penalized because nobody answers their phones anymore. I've seen it happen.

If they're being paid 100% commission, ask them how much money they have in reserve and if they're willing to live on their credit cards until they make a placement. they might have to suffer until something pops...how bad do they want a career in recruiting? if they really don't want to build it, giving them all the resources in the world won't matter.

Good advice. I started my career off at a Information technology staffing firm and they had me do all my training with Peter Leffkowitz. Even when we needed refreshers.

pam claughton said:

I would send them to Peter Leffkowitz for basic recruiter training. That would give them a solid foundation for how to really recruit, and interview and work with clients...and how to find people by going direct vs. relying on the job boards. I've been recruiting for years, and the agency I was initially with had all of us go through Peter's training. It's good stuff. I just went to a mini-training of his last month in NYC as a refresher. If I were to hire any junior recruiters, I would definitely do this to give them a solid foundation on which to build. www.morgancg.com

Good luck!

I concur with Pam. I have been doing this a long time and each year go back to Leffkowitz for training just to refresh and calibrate my skills and mostly because hes inspiring. Just did a two day training in NYC with him this week and I am so psyched for 2011.

There is no better core training for a new recruiter. The most important factor will be on how to use the phone and source for names and how to recruit candidates with that info. Webinars are no where near as effective. Peter is a fantastic teacher and I highly recommend his course. Pay the money its NOTHING compared to the results. Worst case buys his DVD's.

Jack Roth

I am also in recruitment in Eastern Europe for the last 16 years and I was impressed as well to see the number of resources indicated in the above answers. The no 1 recruitment training that I found, but applicable mostly for senior positions, is the one offered by Lou Adler (http://www.adlerconcepts.com/), or they could at least read his book Hire with Your Head.

From my experience in a recruitment company where I had several generations of junior recruiters starting, I found also very valuable the discussion about the values, the way a good recruiter should think and act like, besides the technical know-how. I mean the importance of networking, good client service, walking the talk, sales abilities, identifying the sizzle points of the offer for each candidate, creating a rapport, being able to face rejections and turn them around, aso.  I think that selling them also what's in it for them is very valuable, increases their creativity and assures their interest in further self development without your intervention.

Interesting concept.  For me, I began my time at Duran HCP as, technically, an unpaid intern (commission-based).  Now, I'm in paid training.  As for good teachers, James Duran fits the bill and I have the desire to continue recruiting candidates for various job openings like at Ingenuity, one of our clients. 

Anyway, in regards to how badly they want this career, some may not have the resistance to work commission-based at the beginning of their careers, but after looking for work for a while until Duran HCP, I was willing to take a chance.  So far, so good. 

Duran, along with Dan Harris, have showed me various tools to scout candidates, including Monster and HotJobs.  I am also using big5hire.com, Craigslist and now, social networking sites like LinkedIn.  And there's still more to come. 

Thomas Patrick Chuna said:

It's not easy to learn. the teacher needs to be a good teacher, and the student must be a good student.

It also helps if the newbies aren't penalized because nobody answers their phones anymore. I've seen it happen.

If they're being paid 100% commission, ask them how much money they have in reserve and if they're willing to live on their credit cards until they make a placement. they might have to suffer until something pops...how bad do they want a career in recruiting? if they really don't want to build it, giving them all the resources in the world won't matter.

Very timely discussion, I was just about to raise a related topic!  We've  been through a round of Graduate recruitment at the start of Q4 last year and the consultants have just completed an 8 - 10 week training course. We've found a combination of in-house and external tarining to be optimum. Historically the 2/3 day intense 'Intro to Recruitment' with an external trainer spread across a week was OK but a more in depth programme over a longer time period with lots of on-the-job practice has produced much better results.

On a related note the standard of Graduate available to us has been really high compared to the past which makes for better students completing the training. Not sure if others are finding the same or if we're just lucky in Dublin??

You can have all the product knowldege in the world, but if you can't implement it with basic, fundemental salesmanship, you're dead in the water! I'd first put ANY new group of recruiters through a fundemental sales class, before spending a dime for recruiter traing...because If they're not good and comfortable being perceived as a salesperson they're not going to make it! Recruiting is selling...yourself, your company, and then the position you're recruiting for!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Subscribe

All the recruiting news you see here, delivered straight to your inbox.

Just enter your e-mail address below

Webinar

RecruitingBlogs on Twitter

© 2024   All Rights Reserved   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service