I'm looking for some input in what you think it takes to be a good Recruiting Manager.  What would you want to see or have seen out of a manager that was really positive...or negative.

Views: 2596

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think the best Recruiting Manager is the one in the mix - making placements. 

It's pretty easy to "tell" your recruiters what to say, how to say it, how to manage their day, etc.  I say grab a desk and show 'em how it's done!

Agree with Jerry. I was at a small agency that grew into a big agency, and when it was small, the recruiting manager did work a desk and that's when the agency was really a great place to be, everyone was on the phones working and learning by example. Once they grew and the owner and recruiting manager came off desks and just managed, it was never the same and turnover increased dramatically.

I doubt I will ever come off the floor entirely.  I enjoy the hunt too much.  And I agree totally with both of you, the best way to lead is by example.

I absolutely agree with Jerry, and your first reply, David, and I've also seen what Pam has mentioned, as well.

My first thoughts, based on how I teach & what I've experienced firsthand (and without delving too deep into all the 'extras' that are often important over the long-term for a good Recruiting Manager to do), would be: 

Actually recruiting & leading by example (as you mention); listening very carefully at all times (it's often what is not said that yields more information than what is said);  giving proactive feedback (particularly before any major problems occur);  having a good set of proven metrics in place & using them faithfully;  providing 'space' for the recruiter to grow within (not obviously hovering, yet making your presence known);  making certain that expectations are known up front & are mutually understood;  being accessible to the recruiter's needs (giving proper time & attention to those they manage);  enforce accountability, balancing your level of understanding, while not being too easily influenced or accepting of excuses;  provide an opportunity for the recruiters to collaborate, exchange ideas, or even vent (with the Manager and/or their peers); help establish parameters and focus for continuous daily planning; and last, but certainly not least, be honest and professional at all times.

~Dina :D

Jerry you nailed it I really could't add anything to make it mean more or improve it. Pam's point is also very good and adds merit to bigger isn't always better.

Jerry Knocks it out of the park with his answer! 

Here are my top three suggestions....

First replace "manager" with "coach."  Coaches are hired because they drive results through out peoples talents.  As a Coach you also level the playing field and can more effectivly adjust the Recruiters process for peak affectivness. 

Second keep your message Simple and Clear.  Recruiters are nitrous for chasing squirrels, shiny objects, shoe laces, and pretty much anything that moves.  It is very, very important that you, as the Leader, keep our desks clear and keep our heads in the game.  The only way to effectively do this is to find a motivating mantra and stick with it.  If you want two fills per month then say that Simply and Clearly.

Third SAY "THANK YOU!" Statically people will work harder, longer and with less pay, if you can follow the simplest little plan listed below. It called….

The "No cash investment way to increase profitability" is:

a.     Check your EGO at the door

b.     Walk up to a Recruiter

c.     Extend your hand

d.     Shake their hand

e.     SAY "THANK YOU!"

If you did this once a week to each of your Recruiters, I guarantee, after the shock wears off, you would see an increase in productivity.  Do it weekly, and watch their productivity rise WEEKLY.

I agree with Jerry ... But not every Recruiting Manager makes a great Coach or Trainer ... Sometimes effective Managing is identifying which of your Top producers would make great mentors as  new Recruiters come in they get buddied up with a Strong Producer....

@Rebecca - Great Sales People also have egos ... And sometimes this ego is key to their success ... Its not always easy to tell a Top Producer with an ego to leave it at the door ... 

I am an owner of a mostly skilled staffing company in Michigan. We have revenues, mostly in the contract staffing, of over $10 MM.  We do some search work, and some direct hire, but our goal is to become a significant player in engineering, accounting, and perhaps, IT search.  I know that we will not get to where we want to go until we have a separate, full-time staff to support passive recruiting and candidate focused placements.  I need to hire a recruiting manager to lead our efforts, so this article caught my attention.  I was wondering if I might get some feedback........what market is out there for someone who understands the desk (by doing), who would look at this as a ground floor opportunity as a chance to make something great?  I know my overhead is much less than the huge nationals, so my ability to highly compensate the right person is there.  Ideas?
Hi Paul,   there is a market... The question is a great Recruiting Manager if  he/she is any good would be tied to a very attractive group bonus gained from the team being managed ...  So you might want to look for a Seasoned Recruiting Professional (15-20 years) Exp who has done the "been there done that full cycle recruitment" and is now interested in mentoring others an attractive $100k base plus a group bonus could bring you a lot of interest ...

@Paul LaFrance ~ The people looking for “ground floor opportunities” are already running their own shops.  Instead of wasting “high compensation” on a person who may or may not offer you a return on your investment, you may consider reinvesting that money into your team.  That money would quickly and easily allow you to create an environment where your Recruiters are self sustaining and growing other Recruiters.   

@Paul Alfred ~ Many staffing agencies mistake “Ego” for “Drive.” 

“Long term” high performers are driven from within.  These individuals are about the health of the organization and the team around them.  Their customers are loyal and will pay a higher fee for the attention of these individuals to their needs.  Often you can find these people in an organization by looking for the person who is winning MVP awards, year after year.  They are the ‘go to’ person within a successful team.

Ego Driven sales people CANNOT sustain their level of revenue, year over year. When they are put in a questionable situation, they have reputations of sacrificing a team member, manager or even a client.  This type of producer is easily identified. If their ego is not consistently fed and stroked, their production will fall off quickly and explosively. 

(For more information about these differences, check out the book “Good to Great”. The chapter discussing the different CEO styles goes into more depth than I can explain here on this forum. )

@Rebecca ... Thanks for the Book recommendation ... You are generally right but I have worked with Ego driven Sales types who have sold their companies or are running 5 - 10 million dollar operations ..

How would you describe the Larry E the Ego Maniac CEO of Oracle Corp who spun off leaders who launched Salesforce.com  ...   I hate egos ... and i always preach "Leave your ego at the door" ... But it can be argued that these personalities are necessary in a market driven innovative economy such as ours ...

@Paul Alfred ~ 

Ego's do not drive innovation!!!   Let us be clear.  They take innovation to market!

Comparing apples to apples - Do we need them to restart our economy?  I would consider them the kindling to the fire we need to maintain.  

The question is not whether or not an Ego Maniac CEO can start, run, manage and/or sell an organization.  It's been proven they most certainly can but.....Ego is also what caused this recession ;-) 

I am allows looking long term and the two most important questions for me are...

1.) Will the organization survive the CEO's EGO during their leadership and after they are GONE!!! 

2.) Is the organization built on a foundation that promotes self sustaining revenue. 

The "me, me, me" mentally is killing our Fortune 500 organizations.  

As a country just coming out of a deep recession we really need to put the structures in place for long term sustainability.  This kind of mindset will allow us as an industry to weather the next recession.

BTW ~ Surprise, surprise that happens every 10 years like clock work!!!!! 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Subscribe

All the recruiting news you see here, delivered straight to your inbox.

Just enter your e-mail address below

Webinar

RecruitingBlogs on Twitter

© 2024   All Rights Reserved   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service