Seriously, I haven't spoken with a single recruiter or HR manager who hasn't professed their disdain for those things. What do you hate most about them? And if you actually like them, what is it that you like?

Views: 786

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Your post made me laugh!  I know that wasn't the desired outcome, so I apologize for that!

I do like performing references checks and background checks!  It's one more piece to the puzzle and I like to have all my ducks in a row, so to speak.  If there is something that comes up during the interview that is corroborated in the reference, that's awesome.  If there is something we uncover during the reference check that is an AHA! for us, then I'm glad we figured it out now and lot later (when we can get burned).

It's sort of a necessary evil, just like picking up the phone in the first place!  I am the type of person who likes to have everything wrapped up, no loose ends.  Reference and background checks tie things up for me.

Glad you thought it was funny even if it was slightly at my expense! :)

I think the purpose of "getting your ducks in a row" makes complete sense and why recruiters and HR managers do them in the first place. But what I never understood is why its done as one of the last steps. Hardly any of the candidates are disqualified as a result of a reference check. And since all that information is collected at the end, it doesn't help the recruiter use the information to find better candidates or bring new information to the interview.

Linda Ferrante LoCicero said:

Your post made me laugh!  I know that wasn't the desired outcome, so I apologize for that!

I do like performing references checks and background checks!  It's one more piece to the puzzle and I like to have all my ducks in a row, so to speak.  If there is something that comes up during the interview that is corroborated in the reference, that's awesome.  If there is something we uncover during the reference check that is an AHA! for us, then I'm glad we figured it out now and lot later (when we can get burned).

It's sort of a necessary evil, just like picking up the phone in the first place!  I am the type of person who likes to have everything wrapped up, no loose ends.  Reference and background checks tie things up for me.

I agree, hardly any candidates are disqualified as a result of the reference check, but some are, and that's good!  Getting solid references are sort of like a nod to our gut about the candidate and how they've presented themselves.  

I could be wrong, but I believe there is some sort of 'law' or requirement somewhere that says you cannot perform a background check until the offer is made.  Reference checks are different, but to be honest, I'd rather call references on someone I'm REALLY serious about, as opposed to wasting my time with a so-so candidate.  Maybe that's why we wait?  

Totally. You wouldn't want to waste your time doing a reference check for a candidate you aren't excited about.

What about the automated reference checks systems? Have you used one of those before?

Linda Ferrante LoCicero said:

I agree, hardly any candidates are disqualified as a result of the reference check, but some are, and that's good!  Getting solid references are sort of like a nod to our gut about the candidate and how they've presented themselves.  

I could be wrong, but I believe there is some sort of 'law' or requirement somewhere that says you cannot perform a background check until the offer is made.  Reference checks are different, but to be honest, I'd rather call references on someone I'm REALLY serious about, as opposed to wasting my time with a so-so candidate.  Maybe that's why we wait?  

No, never used an automated system for reference checks.  That totally defeats the purpose, in my opinion!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Subscribe

All the recruiting news you see here, delivered straight to your inbox.

Just enter your e-mail address below

Webinar

RecruitingBlogs on Twitter

© 2024   All Rights Reserved   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service