With the Pressures That Come With A High Stress Job like Recruiting - How Do You Keep Your Sanity?

Recruiters--we work hard all day and some of us work into the night.  We tend to be dedicated to getting the job(s) done come hell or high water.  The work burns hot and cold and very hot sometimes.

That said, what are those things you do besides momentarily stepping away from the phone and the keyboard or taking a vacation?  What do you do that satisfies your other interests, that are legal in 50 states and Puerto Rico? 

I'd like to know and I think others in the RBC would be interested to know as well.  For me it's photography and training & competing in Masters and Senior Olympic Track & Field Meets.  Both are for fun and pleasure...and sometimes they tie into recruiting, but that's for a different discussion.

More importantly, what are those hobbies & interests that you engage in that help you balance your personal and professional life?  Remember, without some "balance" you end-up being right-handed.  Where do think the term "red eye" comes from?

Training for and competing in The Discus Throw event is meaningful for me on so many levels.  I literally picked it up in high school fielding it for my older brother who also competed at the All-State qualifying level.  He inspired me to get into the sport. 

Though there is hard work, and tension--it is a different kind of tension and hard work.  And the sweat equity payback actually relieves the different kind of tension that can build in my job as a recruiter.  It poses a physical release as well as a physical build-up that is healthy for me, particularly as I get older.  Getting up for it gets harder only if you let yourself get rusty.  The old saying, "Use it or lose it" is so true going into my 63rd year. 

Plus the competition is invigorating--win or lose--I have something to show for it--my training, effort and accomplishments.  I've also end up meeting new people--all competitors.  I find myself giving and getting training tips and advice on how to correct noticeable bad habits that even the most experienced athlete can exhibit.

The Discus throw is very much like ballet with an implement to throw.  It requires great balance, speed, timing and power to make it look effortless.  It's a spin and a half of gathering forces that violently whips or slings a discus into the air in the hope that a kind wind catches it and takes it ever further.  An unkind wind can take a discus straight up and drop it at your feet, daring you to try again.

It's a beautiful thing to see--a discus spinning so smoothly as it swiftly glides through the air.  Gaining altitude and distance as it goes--it finally lands near or past your personal best distance.  When it does that it's a thing of beauty for an old and grizzled discus thrower.  I ought to know. I am one.

Views: 1059

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Good to hear it.  I find that when you do competitive things at work and play (which can amount to hard work); and manage that competitive spirit in a healthy and productive way--your focus is to always be improving.  The only downside and watchout in competitive sports is the likelihood of getting injured.  The challenge becomes:  know your limits.  

Raphael Fang said:

Well, I have no life outside of the my work life.  I actually have to schedule time off from playing hard.    I try to stay home one day a month.    Also, the I take the last week of December off.

And If I have to choose one thing to do, I will have to take cycling.  I have been a cyclist for over 20 years.  I have spend many hours training and racing on the road and on the trail.

@Tino - thank you for that very important reminder. One of those things you know, but need to hear from time to time. They won't always be my 'lil' guys.

@Raphael  - very interesting....always had an interest in Dragonboating. That is so cool you do that. As a drummer I always had an interest in it for some reason. Never knew anyone that actually did it. Nice list of hobbies indeed.

I started to comment but that would presuppose that I had retained my sanity. Obviously not true since I have 7 horses. The only thing crazier than a recruiter is a horse person. That is all.

Sandra,

I have to agree on both counts.  Sanity has long left some recruiters and I often lose it only to find some semblance of it later.

On horse ownership X 7--well that's a whole nother challenge, requiring a special level of sweet insanity.

My mother, father, uncles & aunts made sure, from their upbringing--that their children were raised with exposure, respect and love for horses. 

Your past mention and shared pictures of your beautiful horses on the RBC does not go unnoticed.  The care and handling of them is something to be admired.

The nicest thing about my horses or should i say the many nice things about my horses are:

They are always where they are supposed to be.  Except when the fence breaks but they are back in time for dinner.

They don't drink or chase cheap looking blondes.  Except for the palomino mare next door when the fence breaks and she beats the hell out of them and chases them home.

They don't fuss about their jobs or the boss.  Except when they don't want to work, they just buck you off and show you who's boss.

They never bitch about dinner.  Except when it's late then they just fight with you for their hay.

Mostly they are dearly loved members of my family and so far i haven't had to send them to college or buy them a car.

Damn Sandra.. Horses? very nice :)

Sandra McCartt said:

The nicest thing about my horses or should i say the many nice things about my horses are:

They are always where they are supposed to be.  Except when the fence breaks but they are back in time for dinner.

They don't drink or chase cheap looking blondes.  Except for the palomino mare next door when the fence breaks and she beats the hell out of them and chases them home.

They don't fuss about their jobs or the boss.  Except when they don't want to work, they just buck you off and show you who's boss.

They never bitch about dinner.  Except when it's late then they just fight with you for their hay.

Mostly they are dearly loved members of my family and so far i haven't had to send them to college or buy them a car.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Subscribe

All the recruiting news you see here, delivered straight to your inbox.

Just enter your e-mail address below

Webinar

RecruitingBlogs on Twitter

© 2024   All Rights Reserved   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service