Today’s economy highlights the importance of focusing on the total compensation package
PHILADELPHIA, Pa. – August 27, 2008 – Beyond.com, Inc., the world’s largest network of niche career communities, polled members across its network of thousands of sites to gauge whether professionals feel they are properly compensated at work. More than 3,000 Beyond.com Network visitors answered the question:
“Do you feel you are properly compensated in your job?”
• 11 % - Yes, I am properly compensated
• 3 % - No, I am overpaid
• 77 % - No I am underpaid
• 9 % - Unsure
In today’s declining economy, employers are looking beyond salary to stay competitive and attract key talent. This movement is causing many professionals to place a higher value on job attributes such as benefits, work/life balance, commute time and career advancement. In fact, a previous Beyond.com poll indicated 51 percent of professionals do not consider salary the most important factor when deciding whether or not to take a job.
“As important as salary may be, professionals should keep in mind that a comprehensive employment package has a greater value than salary alone,” says Rich Milgram, CEO of Beyond.com, Inc. “Professionals who are negotiating a job offer or salary increase should examine their options from all angles to ensure they are properly compensated.”
Below are several tips on how to effectively negotiate a job offer or salary increase:
• Do your Homework – The key to a successful negotiation is preparation. Research your market value to determine what a person with your skills, education and qualifications is earning in your area.
• Set Realistic Expectations – Remember to evaluate the entire employment package, often called “total compensation”. Set your limits and expectations. Know what you want and what you will settle for. Most importantly, be realistic.
• Ask For What You Want – Don’t sell yourself short by underestimating the value of your skills and expertise. Set your target higher during initial discussions to create a foundation for the rest of the negotiation.
• Stay Strong and Stay Professional – It is important to remain professional throughout any negotiation process, despite all of the feelings that you may be experiencing. Remain calm, confident and professional.
For more career-related tips and resources, please visit the Beyond.com Career Resource Center.
About Beyond.com, Inc.
Beyond.com, Inc. is the world’s largest network of niche career communities, powering thousands of geographic and industry-specific sites. We are dedicated to helping business professionals, corporations and vertical communities connect with each other by providing relevant career search services, networking tools and portal software solutions. Beyond.com was named to Inc. Magazine’s prestigious ‘Inc. 500’ list of the fastest growing private companies and is a Safeguard Scientifics, Inc. (NYSE: SFE) partner company. www.Beyond.com