6 months ago, I was staring at our applicant tracking system and our job board thinking "How on earth are we going to fill 85 jobs in the next 3 months?" Today, the same system and board contains 22 jobs - with managers in no extreme rush to fill them as we sit and wait out this "bailout" measure. My industry is knee deep in mud in what is possibly the worst housing market in the history of the housing market. Some would say we are a manufacturing company, and others would admit we are a sales company - but I say we are a struggling company.

Granted, we have one of the strongest balance sheets in our industry and great leadership that has been in the driver's seat for over 25 years. We watch as our neighbors to the east (the Big 3 of Ford, GM, and Chrysler) lose millions each quarter. But one can only ask the question - how do you recruit in a down economy?

You need sales to make profit - so how do you find the best and most qualified persons to get out on the streets and beat down the doors of the customer that is looking for the next best thing. Sliced bread is already out there, so how do you find the guy/gal that can slice it the other way and make toast at the same time? A question I have been pondering for some time. What can I do, during these times, to make a difference?

I'm not sure if I am asking for advice or guidance? Just wondering what some of you are doing out there as our economy continues its plunge into the abyss?

Views: 56

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Here is how I see it.

We are either in candidate driven market
or a job order (req.) driven market (and sometimes a combo)

Right now we are headed for a job order (req) driven market.
I say headed...because there is still a candidate shortage.

You can survive either type of market. Watch for the weak signals because they become trends.

Turn of the news for a few weeks and you will immediately feel better.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Subscribe

All the recruiting news you see here, delivered straight to your inbox.

Just enter your e-mail address below

Webinar

RecruitingBlogs on Twitter

© 2024   All Rights Reserved   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service