These days are very challenging. Many companies put all hiring on-hold. I was wondering if any of you have any opinions based on experience and do you feel thesame?

Views: 104

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Companies will walk all over you if you let them. As a recruiter, not only do you have to control the candidate, but also the hiring process. Setting expectations up front with you client is key. Now, it sounds like they are hesitant to make a move due to the economy. I'd probably probe a bit to try and find out the reason. Are they stalling because THEY are scared or is it an order from upper management? You can't do much about upper management (unless you've developed relationships with them, which would be advisable).

If it is the hiring authority who is hesitating you need to create urgency. For instance, if you have an "A" candidate they love, it is your responsibility to let them know that hesitating is sending the wrong message to the candidate and stalling momentum. It is your job to make sure they aren't missing out on an "A" producer.

Now, if you don't have an "A" candidate, then I wouldn't suggest pushing a "B" or "C" just to get paid. That will hurt your credibility in the long term.

What I would be doing is pounding the phones! Not since 2001, has there been a better chance to be building a pipeline of "A" candidates who are nervous about their jobs or who just got laid off. Although you may not see revenue immediately, this is a "buy low" situation that may pass shortly after the elections.

Hope that helps!
Your comments are valid and I follow them.

Stephen said:
Companies will walk all over you if you let them. As a recruiter, not only do you have to control the candidate, but also the hiring process. Setting expectations up front with you client is key. Now, it sounds like they are hesitant to make a move due to the economy. I'd probably probe a bit to try and find out the reason. Are they stalling because THEY are scared or is it an order from upper management? You can't do much about upper management (unless you've developed relationships with them, which would be advisable).

If it is the hiring authority who is hesitating you need to create urgency. For instance, if you have an "A" candidate they love, it is your responsibility to let them know that hesitating is sending the wrong message to the candidate and stalling momentum. It is your job to make sure they aren't missing out on an "A" producer.

Now, if you don't have an "A" candidate, then I wouldn't suggest pushing a "B" or "C" just to get paid. That will hurt your credibility in the long term.

What I would be doing is pounding the phones! Not since 2001, has there been a better chance to be building a pipeline of "A" candidates who are nervous about their jobs or who just got laid off. Although you may not see revenue immediately, this is a "buy low" situation that may pass shortly after the elections.

Hope that helps!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Subscribe

All the recruiting news you see here, delivered straight to your inbox.

Just enter your e-mail address below

Webinar

RecruitingBlogs on Twitter

© 2024   All Rights Reserved   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service