My favorite method is to ask for referrals. I must admit that I do enjoy the challenge of cold sourcing, too:) Of course, when I cold source, I usually let the person know that I am seeking referrals. Sometimes they tell me they'll send referrals my way, but...lo and behold...they send their own resume:) Recruiting is just plain fun, isn't it?!

Views: 142

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My favorite way of sourcing is what I have heard others call "Digital Networking". Which is another way of saying flipping. I won't bore you with the explanation, but simply try this in www.altavista.com link:www.ibm.com resume "software engineer" - this string gives you a list of 618 resumes of software engineers that somehow have linked to IBM. There are over 12 different ways to digitally network. This nifty tool refers you to any professionls that have linked either their personal sites or resumes to a company.

People do it for several reasons, the top two is because they are proud employees or ex-employees or any company or because they proudly use their tools.
I use a variety of methods of course. Asking for referrals is definitely something that is part of my regular routine no matter type of job I am working on. However, my favorite method of sourcing really depends on what I am working on. The internet really provides a lot of resources to find companies to call into as well as individual names of course. I have to admit, there are few times that just pulling up a few resumes on Monster.com or another job board is great for those low level, "we need to start tomorrow" positions. (I don't get a lot of those.)

I get a kick out of using Google or other search engines to search specific domains. Searching through LinkedIn.com and Zoominfo.com and even Jigsaw.com through a search engine is pretty nifty.

When I check references, I can usually determine by the end of the call how open the reference will be to either giving me referrals or sending me his or her resume. I really like flipping a reference for referrals or into a candidate. Especially if the reference hasn't posted his/her resume anyway or initiated a job search.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Subscribe

All the recruiting news you see here, delivered straight to your inbox.

Just enter your e-mail address below

Webinar

RecruitingBlogs on Twitter

© 2024   All Rights Reserved   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service