I was hoping that a few of you could give me your experiences with contract recruiting. I have been in the IT Staffing industry for 7 years with the same company. I am thinking about going out on my own. Is there a robust market for independant, contract IT recruiters? Do you have to pay for your own subscriptions and postings, or do you have the client do that? How do you bill? I am thinking about doing a hybrid approach of an hourly wage with a percentage bonus upon placement. Any suggestions or advice?

Thaks
Leslie

Views: 120

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Leslie,

Suggest you get The Recruiters Guide Book to Corporate Recruiting, Contract Recruiting, Agency Recruiting, Headhunting, Diversity Recruiting, College Recruiting, Sourcing and Interviewing Candidates by Dakotta Alex.

It starts with motivated clients; 1) how many do you already have? 2) how many more can you get? 3) everything else is easy(ier).

All the Best!

Ray
+++
Hey Leslie,

I have been doing this for quite sometime now. All I can tell you is that every opportunity is different.

Most use contractors so they don't have to pay commissions or bonuses. Depending on your skills, experience, education, etc... it could be an hourly rate of $30 - $70 / hour. There are 1099 and W2 contractors as well.

Most companies cover the cost of job boards for their recruiters but you usually have to share with others... Some require you to cover all expenses.

Another thing to consider is location... Some major companies are offering contractors Virtual positions meaning you can work from anywhere. These are VERY difficult to find but they are increasing in numbers. Some require fixed hours in their location... (might as well be an employee).

Other factors you need to consider are... Taxes, Health Insurance, Business Insurance, Licensing, Retirement, Equipment and many, many more.

I love my job. It is worth it... if you have the fortitude for changing jobs (contracts) and the guts to try and possibly fail. There is no other way I want to recruit ever again.

GOOD LUCK,

Bill Gallop
Leslie,

I have an idea for you, if thinking of going out on your own. You could begin posting FREE at www.consultingcooperative.com for all of your Contract and Consulting assignments.

POST-MATCH-DONE
Only the Consulting Cooperative offers

QuickMatch™ – View potential candidates ranked by relevance within minutes vs. days
QuickView – Immediately review credentials of all consultant matches
QuickConnect – Immediately connect with candidates via confidential communications
Personal Dashboard – A single view of all your projects with matches and current status

Let me know your thoughts and good luck.

Ken Holmes l CSO l www.consultingcooperative.com

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Subscribe

All the recruiting news you see here, delivered straight to your inbox.

Just enter your e-mail address below

Webinar

RecruitingBlogs on Twitter

© 2024   All Rights Reserved   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service