I want to start featuring a daily Recruiting Tip at the top of RecruitingBlogs.com. If you have one to share, please post it as as comment and once I have a number of them, I will start featuring one a day at the top of the network with a link back to your profile when it gets featured.

Views: 479

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Jerry,
I have not been on Twitter. What is wrong with it?
Liz
Jerry, what's your beef with Twitter??

Any way my tip: Be Human. Be Honest. Be Smart.
If you don't have one get a head set it make a telephone conversation into a conversation
All - Please be kind to Jerry. This Elmer Fudd lookalike who recruits when it isn't rabbit season has a difficult time saying anything in less than 140 characters let alone writing something interesting for all the Twitterers to read... ;)
All-

Now I'm serious... Recruiter Tips are simply that - tips offered by individual recruiters. You can go into a hospital and tell the nurse recruiters - many former nurses - that the best way to recruit nurses is to call into hospitals and these nurse recruiters will look at you as if you were an alien.

Why not ask Jerry to start a discussion on why he might dislike Twitter (keep in mind that Jerry is an RBC Shock Jock)?

My contention is that we keep this thread as a listing of tips on not get caught in bad tip/good tip diversions...

Steve Levy said:
All - Please be kind to Jerry. This Elmer Fudd lookalike who recruits when it isn't rabbit season has a difficult time saying anything in less than 140 characters let alone writing something interesting for all the Twitterers to read... ;)
Steve - I agree. This should be a "what works for me" thread......not what doesn't work for me.

Steve Levy said:
All-

Now I'm serious... Recruiter Tips are simply that - tips offered by individual recruiters. You can go into a hospital and tell the nurse recruiters - many former nurses - that the best way to recruit nurses is to call into hospitals and these nurse recruiters will look at you as if you were an alien.

Why not ask Jerry to start a discussion on why he might dislike Twitter (keep in mind that Jerry is an RBC Shock Jock)?

My contention is that we keep this thread as a listing of tips on not get caught in bad tip/good tip diversions...

Steve Levy said:
Craig,
Loved this and agree with all of it, especially this line, "Focus on helping people and the placements will start falling into place." So true, and this is when if you do it right, asking all the questions to uncover what is most important to them and finding the role that meets those needs, then you don't have to 'close' them, they do it themselves. :)

~Pam

craig silverman said:
Smile when you dial. Get off the internet and email and talk to people. Learn how to ask opened ended questions and be a great listener. This is a fun business so have some fun while you are at it. Focus on helping people and the placements will start falling into place. Be organized but stay flexible. Set aggressive goals, stay positive, and put in a full day of work.
Thanks to everybody for sharing your tips (Jason - you should think about turning this in to an eBook at some point....these ideas are coming from people in the biz who are walking the walk and they could have lasting value if they are compiled in a "free" eBook).

Since I'm Mr. Touchy-Feely, I guess I'll use the word "compassion" in my tip.

In the words of my buddy and pal, Tim Sanders (who has no clue who I am), "By expressing compassion, you create an experience that people remember. When people remember you, it's good for your business."

The truth is, we're marketing ourselves 'every day.' How do we differentiate ourselves in such a way that we create 'unforgettable experiences' for our clients? By caring (deeply) about what we do and how we do it, and for whom we are doing it. Yep, that's where the word compassion comes in.

When I create an unforgettable experience for my customer/candidate, I am (in a sense) reaching out and grabbing their humanity and making it impossible for them to think about anybody else (besides me) in the context of recruiting.

Be bold enough - and care enough - to be unforgettable.
Your briefing your candidate for the all important interview. Make sure that he knows to ask for the job if he's interested in the opportunity. Tell him to tell the hiring manager "I'm very excited about this opportunity, what's the next step?". Recruiters are by their very nature salespeople and know to always ask for the order, but if you're placing engineers, accountants etc. they don't necessarily think this way. More than once I've heard hiring managers say "We really like the candidate but we couldn't sense whether or not he/she was interested in the opportunity". Remember, what we do naturally isn't necessarily what everybody does.
Hi Jason,
I have just added a bit of a discussion topic around it however I also think it is a good tip, ‘Listen to Your Intuition’ - or as I have elaborated in the discussion when you have that Blink moment – go with it.
When a candidate stacks up well on paper and in person, yet for some reason you feel uneasy about them, listen to your instincts. Don’t put them forward because inevitably it will fizzle. The same applies with clients.
Too often in the quest to make a placement we ignore our intuition – which in my experience 9 times out of 10 is right. Trust your instincts when hiring.
Regards,
Kelly
Can I add another really simple, yet obvious one... Maren's latest post reminded me. THE PHONE, is THE most important tool in this game. Don't be afraid of it.. whether it be cold calling clients, calling candidates, head hunting, you can't rely solely on the internet.
Here's a tip, that most of you won't follow;

Prior to firing up the computer, coffee pot, or even the lights. Spend 15-30 minutes just sitting there in the quietness of the morning and meditate. Clear all internal chatter form your mind and focus on the oneness and perfection that is our universe.

Focus on asking this question; How can I be of service today? How can I do GOD's work today?

Repeat it until it becomes a mind mantra. What you will find is that eventually, the world (GOD) will listen and give you the opportunity to be of service.

Now you have the mental capacity to reach out to anyone, anytime, anywhere and be able to see clearly how you are capable of helping them. You instantly stop making it about yourself and make it about others.

This is not only the secret to a fulfilled and happy lifestyle, it also applies to all relationships in your life.

God bless all the recruiters out there and I hope my message reaches all needy ears with peace and love.

Javier
Recruiter
jarce@superbtechinc.com
Superb Tech Inc

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Subscribe

All the recruiting news you see here, delivered straight to your inbox.

Just enter your e-mail address below

Webinar

RecruitingBlogs on Twitter

© 2024   All Rights Reserved   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service