Claudia Help!

I have noticed more and more candidates blurring the lines of business and social networking online. Here’s a recent example that almost caused me to lose a client: one of my candidates sent a LinkedIn request to a hiring manager before her interview. Both the HM and I thought that was odd, but we thought it was just over-enthusiasm. She didn’t stop there though; she invited the CEO to connect as well, this time using very familiar language in the email as if they were long-lost BFFs. She even complimented his picture (that’s right, “I like your pic”), like she was hitting on a complete stranger who just happened to run the company she wants a job at.

Could it get worse? Oh, but of course. When I confronted her about the behavior she not only defended it but sent flaming emails to the HM and CEO, and copied me with pride. I sat there reading with my mouth wide open in horror. Needless to say, I am struggling to regain the confidence of my client (rightfully so) and wondering how I went so wrong with this candidate.

How do you handle people who don’t get the difference between personal and professional social networking?

Weary Matchmaker

Dear Weary,

Ok, I’m going to sound like my first recruiting boss for a moment. When exactly did you lose control of this situation? It was long before you fired the candidate (which you were perfectly justified in doing), and much earlier than the first inappropriate email. Remember the cardinal rule in recruiting? That which I anticipate I can control. This one caught you off guard; the next time (and there will be a next time my friend, because we’re always tested on the important stuff in life) you’ll recognize the warning signs and shut ‘er down before damage control is required.

The underlying issue here is quality control for your clients. Functional skills are often much easier to assess than intangible skills, and this is often tied to the specificity of requirements and the amount of time we have to “learn” a candidate. Inappropriate behavior can be a sign of inexperience, which can be cured for most people with time and growing up; but it can also be a sign of low emotional intelligence (EI). This can be cured too, by the way – but for recruiters who are paid by the placement, candidate coaching is a short term fee-drainer. It’s a definite tradeoff, but it can’t be denied that EI is a key element in matching both parties; the better you know your clients, the easier it becomes to isolate candidate behaviors that blend well there – or don’t.

This is a great opportunity to evaluate your own process of candidate assessment. Assessment is more than just the initial screen; it’s every contact, and the goal is to gain insight into the consistency and motivation behind a candidate’s overall behavior. If you’re not already screening for the building blocks of EI, take a look at the framework in the picture above (taken from the excellent research of Daniel Goleman); think of your client’s environment and the behaviors that will blend well there. The candidate we’ve been discussing is obviously high in elements of personal competence, but low in many related to social competence; successful candidates have a mix of competencies on both sides of the list. Look at the skills listed below “Self Regulation” for a moment; are there other “tells” in that column that showed up in your interactions with the candidate? If not, what behaviors will you watch and listen for in the future to avoid a similar outcome?

Hang in there, oh Weary One. You’ve gained some valuable experience; use it to your advantage next time.

In my day job, I’m the Head of Products for Improved Experience, where we help employers use feedback to measure and manage competitive advantage in hiring and retention. Learn more about us here.

Do you have a question you'd like answered in this weekly forum? Drop me a line!

Views: 121

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Love this!

Maureen Sharib said:
DELANCEY: Personally, I'd would prefer stupidity.
MARTIN: Pride will do.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Subscribe

All the recruiting news you see here, delivered straight to your inbox.

Just enter your e-mail address below

Webinar

RecruitingBlogs on Twitter

© 2024   All Rights Reserved   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service