Why video resumes won’t become mainstream (part III)

I have covered the legality and process of why video resumes won’t become mainstream in parts I and II of this discussion, now let’s talk about who a video resume is designed to benefit (and why it most likely isn’t you).

Briefly, a review of the definition of a video resume: a video resume is a video created by a candidate and made available to an employer in an effort to help the candidate stand out.

There are 3 members of the hiring ecosystem: the candidate, the recruiter and the employer. Considering the definition of a video resume, it is no surprise that it can benefit the candidate. A candidate eagerly searching for a job will likely explore many opportunities to “stand out.” If this video resume helps the candidate gain attention in a positive way, this is a benefit.

As a side note, all of the video resume production companies that have popped up recently also benefit from video resumes because they are getting paid a handsome amount to produce these videos for the candidates.

But what about the recruiter and the employer? By definition of a video resume, the recruiter has no part in the video resume process, therefore, no benefit. The employer may benefit by getting a better view to the candidate, but this will never be more than a “one-off.” Not only is there no way for an employer to ensure compliance with video resumes (part I) but it does not make sense for an employer to view a video resume for every single candidate that applies (part II). The time added to the hiring process of viewing a 5 minute video for every single candidate that applied is incredibly cumbersome. (Imagine only being able to review 12 candidate resumes/video resumes per hour)

So it seems that the only beneficiary of a video resume is a candidate. And this candidate is creating this video resume and submitting it into a process that they don't know will even accept the video resume. For a product to become successful it needs to benefit all parties involved in a well defined way.

Therefore, video resumes will never become mainstream.

Views: 9

Subscribe

All the recruiting news you see here, delivered straight to your inbox.

Just enter your e-mail address below

Webinar

RecruitingBlogs on Twitter

© 2024   All Rights Reserved   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service