I have made large strides to striking out of the commercial box, but have a few concerns that are on the front of my mind about going independent - namely staying in my PJ's and surfing YouTube all day.

What are some practical steps that you all have taken to avoid the "I'm out from under the thumb of corporate america" curse?

Any info is much appreciated.

Views: 56

Replies to This Discussion

I recently went off on my own after working 6 years at both large and small firms. The hard things for me and I guess probably most recruiters is adjusting to not being part of office or team. So its a definitely lonely at times but I think long term, it will be awesome!(It has to be right?) So the hardest part of my day is totally getting out of bed, so I usually switch out sleepy clothes into work out clothes at least or my 7 jeans (which cost more than most of business clothes anyways!). Sometimes I walk myself to Starbucks to get going and out of my home. Also, I developed a schedule for myself (so no YouTube during the day!), reached out to other people who have been on their own for support, set lots appointments to meet people (candidates & clients), got involved in lots of committees for both headhunters but also accounting & Finance professional organizations, and I have friend that just went off on her own in a different market - so we have weekly calls & pep talks...

Everyone I talked to that was successful keeps telling me it was the best decision that I will ever make, but ask me in 6 months!

But, I do like be comfortable - so the PJS part is still a plus for me right now!! Love it!!

RSS

Subscribe

All the recruiting news you see here, delivered straight to your inbox.

Just enter your e-mail address below

Webinar

RecruitingBlogs on Twitter

© 2024   All Rights Reserved   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service