I wanted to see if you guys can help me define sourcing. I've been seeing different recruiting activities labled as sourcing in different recruiters' resumes and I just wanted to get a feel for what the general perception was.

Would you consider reviewing candidates that have applied to positions through the corporate web site as sourcing? or how about revieweing candidates resumes on the different job boards?

What activities would you consider as sourcing?

Views: 93

Replies to This Discussion

This is the best definition I've seen of sourcing so far!
Spot on Amybeth. With you on this !!
I agree with the definintion on wikipedia. It was well thought out and well defined but I notice that people use the term sourcing differently than that and wanted to see were the difference lays. Somehow it feels as though recruiters think differently of what sourcing is that is all.
Wikipedia's definition is solid, I like how it clearly defines what Sourcing is not. In my mind, Sourcing and Recruitment is church and state: any mudding of the work compromises the entire model. If they are not separated, it's a downwards slope of Recruitment seeing Sourcing resources as their own; as is such, Sourcers will end up recruiting/assessing candidates when things get busy. This effectively kills any ongoing focus on future needs. As they say: 'the path to hell is paved with good intentions'...

On a related note, some Recruiters like to think of Sourcers are junior Recruiters -- and this is a major reason it should be a peer job, or as a stand alone entity. Nothing is further than the truth.

Many North American organizations are in 'build' mode for sourcing... most have identified sourcing as a key area, few have defined/separated it successfully.

RSS

Subscribe

All the recruiting news you see here, delivered straight to your inbox.

Just enter your e-mail address below

Webinar

RecruitingBlogs on Twitter

© 2024   All Rights Reserved   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service