Talent Talk Cafe - Chat Transcript for Generations....Myths and Realities

This week's Talent Talk Cafe discussion was focused on Generations - the Myths and Realities of attracting, engaging and retaining talent. With so much discussion around the significant difference with each Generation what we really found out is that its more about connecting and establishing best practices for all. Following is the transcript from the Chat and please share your comments here as well.

Hi Susan, Maren and RB community!~ looking forward to the chat!
2:04pm

The Talent Hunter
Hello every1

Susan Burns
Hi Maren - how are you? Any thoughts to share on Generations - now that you've qualified as Gen Y

Susan Burns
Hi Susan! Hi Mike - Talent Hunter - did i get that right??
2:05pm

The Talent Hunter
sure did

Susan Burns
Great to see you again Mike

The Talent Hunter

Susan Burns
So what do you think are the biggest myths around generations
2:06pm

The Talent Hunter
If you offer an ipod as a sign-on bonus all Gen Y'ers will come running to your company
2:07pm

Maren Hogan
Well there are certainly a lot of sterotypes and they definitely exist for a reason. Myths?

Susan Kang Nam
how true..

Susan Burns
Wow - is that all it takes Mike? What do you offer an Xr or BB?

Maren Hogan
Haha TH that is so true. I was at a conferenfe where EVEYRONE was offering an iPhone

Susan Burns
Maren - what are the main stereotypes for Gen Y?

Susan Kang Nam
curious to hear about the Xrs...lol
2:08pm

Maren Hogan
Gen Y. . .we need constant feedback, which is not true for all of us

Maren Hogan
I know xers do get ignored, like they don't matter

Maren Hogan
I've done it myself!

The Talent Hunter
Xers rock

Maren Hogan
I hate that people think Yers have no work ethic, personally I feel like I get a TON accomplished when allowed to work in the way that is most suited to me
2:09pm

Susan Kang Nam
I wonder why that is.. I agree with Mike - Xers rock! (of course..I'm biased

Susan Burns
Xers seem to be missing from the dialogue - everyone talks about Gen Y and BB in the workplace but what about Gen X?

Maren Hogan
I think that is excellent advice for most people actually, it is when working with others and trying to mesh style that we get our pants in a bunch

MN Headhunter
(I am back)

Susan Burns
Maren - are u the typical Gen Y
Susan Burns
Maren - are u the typical Gen Y

The Talent Hunter
I think Xers are kind of looked at to get things done...being led by the BB's
2:10pm

pam claughton
What is the cutoff between Gen Y and X? Age ranges? never sure of that

Susan Burns
Susan and Mike - I've been really surprised to see that as well. In most cases don't Gen Y report to Gen X but its always about BB and Y

Maren Hogan
no I am on the edge, which I think is why I hate the stereotype stuff, we;ve done some cool stuff at HCI trying to combine talents and work styles

Susan Burns
Hi Pam! Hi Paul

The Talent Hunter
and you have the Yers coming in who may be more savy on the tech side (as a whole)

Maren Hogan
78-80 is what I have heard

Susan Burns
Pam, Y is usually born before 1980

Maren Hogan
birth year, sorry should have clarified
2:11pm

Susan Kang Nam
I see that with Gen Ys.. yes.. more tech savvy..

Susan Burns
Biggest difference is that X surivied by being fearlessly independent and Y gravitates towards team

pam claughton
Thx Susan! You know I've heard the myth that gen Y are lazy, entitled, but I haven't seen that

MN Headhunter
I think that most perceptions of Gen Y are true but highly overblown
2:12pm

Susan Burns
Also, used to see X as the tech geniuses so wonder if they feel slighted by Y being even more tech saavy

Maren Hogan
I think that is applied across the board, I get Gen Xers and Boomers that say they are tech savvy and . . .are. . .not

MN Headhunter
tech savvy, consultants, socially aware, a little into themselves, have been hand held

Susan Burns
Are most perceptions of a generation overblown?

MN Headhunter
I really do

Susan Kang Nam
well.. I am trying to convince the BB crowd to go more tech savvy.. and it has been a hurdle..
2:13pm

MN Headhunter
think they are

The Talent Hunter
i think it's just a "big brother-little sister" mentality...i think gen to gen goes through the same thing, calling the younger sister lazy
Susan Burns
Susan - what is the resistance?

The Talent Hunter
back in the 90's the Gen Xers were labeled as renegade and anti establishment...things have changed a bit...like anything else

Susan Kang Nam
I think ... and this is just a guess..and assumption (bad on my part) but it's ignorance..

Maren Hogan
Paul, I am WAY into myself

Susan Kang Nam
they are just used to their ways...
Maren Hogan
gotta run, tell me which generation will rule the world!
2:14pm

Susan Burns
Mike - same was true with BB - so each generation goes from being idealist and rebel to conformist?

Susan Kang Nam
not all are that way I don't believe.

MN Headhunter
and let's blame thise responsible, their parents

Susan Kang Nam
see you later Maren!~

Susan Burns
See ya Maren - thanks for dropping by and have an AWESOME event!

MN Headhunter
they wanted to be friends with their kids and not their parents
2:15pm

The Talent Hunter
Susan-I think so to an extent...kind of like that one commercial out today...

The Talent Hunter
..the middle aged guy saying, "dont trust anyone over 80"
Susan Kang Nam
lol

Susan Burns
Paul - very true - was just talking with @kwheeler and @eileenclegg that we couldn't wait to express our independence and move away

pam claughton
I think gen y has less of a solid line between work and play, they're wired 23/7 w/technology
2:16pm

pam claughton
oops meant to say 24/7

MN Headhunter
Being an advisor to a fraternity of 35 guys gives me a front row seat to the Y'ers

Susan Burns
Mike - great example. Remember the gen X commerical about using technology - red headed guy...which company was that - classic

pam claughton
google and facebook are tapping into that, with catering dinner, so people stay longer at work

Susan Burns
Pam - that's a big point and they want to have the flexibility to get it done how, where they can because technology enables
2:17pm

Susan Kang Nam
hmm. really..

Susan Burns
Paul -bet that gives a front row seat to a lot! What do u see that is the most different from when u were in school?

pam claughton
I think you see more x's telecommuting these days though, so they're working more but at home
Susan Burns
Pam - that's a big point and they want to have the flexibility to get it done how, where they can because technology enables

Susan Kang Nam
hmm. really..

Susan Burns
Paul -bet that gives a front row seat to a lot! What do u see that is the most different from when u were in school?

pam claughton
I think you see more x's telecommuting these days though, so they're working more but at home
2:18pm

The Talent Hunter
if the work ethic is there, it is a recipe for success, but I don't think the majority of the workforce can be looked at or trusted to succeed or produce in a virtual environment, i think it leads to less efficiency
2:18pm

The Talent Hunter
and longer hours
2:19pm

Susan Burns
Much of the change we see in today's workplace came from appealing to Gen X - what will Gen Y influence the most?

MN Headhunter
they work harder, play harder, most are more invested in what they are doing

Susan Burns
Mike - do u mean with telecommuting and flexible work schedules...hard to monitor results, productivity?

The Talent Hunter
Susan - exactly
2:20pm

Susan Burns
Paul - do u think that transfers to the workplace? Or, what they're passionate about?
The Talent Hunter
I think Gen Y wants that, but doesnt have the fortitude to do so successfully, as a whole, at this point in their careers

Susan Burns
Mike - sounds a lot like commitment and trust issues? Do you need to see the work getting done or just need it done?

The Talent Hunter
Susan - I think it needs to get done, but with a sense of urgency
2:21pm

MN Headhunter
Susan, I have a disconnect once they graduate and in my recruting start around year 3 in experience. I am not a good person to answer that

Susan Burns
Mike - def could interfere with Gen Y development - there are benefits to working together and touching base during a project - could that be worked in to the distance process?
Susan Burns
Paul - it would be interesting to see how that drive translates to career - you would make a great mentor for emerging talent
2:22pm

The Talent Hunter
Susan - I think it could be but I think that relying too much on conf calls and IM's can lead to lower production levels
2:22pm
The Talent Hunter
Susan -- especially when you are talking about work being done between different generations
2:23pm

Susan Burns
So, given an average project - what would be a good balance of time to work independently and collaboratively for learning
2:23pm

Susan Kang Nam
I think that all depends on the project
2:24pm

The Talent Hunter
Susan - It depends on the role
2:24pm
Susan Burns
Thinking of a junior role reporting to a manager. Working on a project of average difficulty and scope.
2:25pm

Susan Burns
What would the Gen Y person feel is a good balance between autonomy but make the manager happy with providing leadership, guidance and feedback
2:26pm

Susan Kang Nam
Susan - I would have to say 70/30 (coming as a Xer)

The Talent Hunter
Susan - I think its very important for a good amount of collaboration or status updates to occur b/t the two

Susan Burns
Susan - 70% independent for the Gen Y?

NMarie
Attaining productivity "MOJO" can happen when work environments provide a base of trust and offer the right tools and keep getting feedback from all parties...

The Talent Hunter
I would say 70% for collab
2:27pm

Susan Burns
Hi NMarie!
NMarie
Hi Yoga Lady!

Susan Kang Nam
Susan - no I meant Xers.. for Gen Y - 60/40 in my opinion
Susan Kang Nam
I do agree collaboration is important..
2:28pm

Susan Burns
Got it - so Susan, you would work 60% independently and 40% on collaboration/updates/coaching...
2:28pm

The Talent Hunter
Susan - I have seen first hand that a career is looked at more as a Job to Yers though
2:29pm

NMarie
Quotas are guidelines not absolutes...for depending on the energy of the project...some projects take off like "ROCKETS" and others are like "Are you kidding me?"

Susan Burns
Mike - 70% of time spent on coaching/feedback and collaboration?

Susan Kang Nam
Yes. however it all depends on the situation at hand..as well..
The Talent Hunter
Susan - ya, I think that Yers need to first be guided and shown correct processes and work ethic and earn the opportunity to work outside the box

Susan Burns
Mike - can u share more about the "job" vs career

Susan Kang Nam
Mike - interesting - would like to know more.

Susan Burns
NMarie - yes - each project and person is different. I think the "formative years" the first 5-10 yrs on the job become critical to a persons long term success
2:30pm

The Talent Hunter
Susan(s) - definitely...I see a lot less buy-in to a company culture, a lot less development of expertise, almost coasting through the day doing the minimum...
2:31pm

The Talent Hunter
...of course, i may just be lucky enough to have seen a bunch of slackers....I am sure that there are Yers out there who take their career seriously, but I dont see a lot of it

Susan Burns
Too often when someone doesn't experience good management, coaching, feedback, guidance during that time it inhibits their growth

The Talent Hunter
...but i think that comes with experience too
Susan Kang Nam
interesting.. that defies what I "perceived" as Gen Y's..
2:32pm

Susan Burns
Mike - agree on the company culture piece - think this is where Gen Y can really have a big impact - sort of like how Gen X has done and the BB before them

Susan Burns
What concerns me most is when companies just dismiss that their expectations are unreaistic rather than identify what/how to incorporate

Susan Kang Nam
Susan - agree with what you just commented..

The Talent Hunter
Susan - each generation goes through growing pains with the younger.....hate to run, but I gotta hit the phones...it was a pleasure!!!!
2:33pm

Susan Burns
See ya Mike - THANKS!
2:33pm

MN Headhunter
Off on a tangent. if companies were loyal, family friendly, career path oriented, I think the Y'ers would be more energetic. And i will say that most all generations are starting to fall into that thinking of a job is a consulting gig and not a career
Susan Burns
Are companies too resistant to learning from each rising generation? Do they stifle innovative practices rather than embrace new ways of learning, engaging and collaborating?
2:34pm

MN Headhunter
YES!!!
2:34pm

Susan Burns
Paul - totally agree - this is cascading rapidly across generations - which is why I'm getting hung up on the response to Gen Y
2:35pm

The Talent Hunter
I think Gen Y has a habit of giving the problem, but no offering the solution
2:36pm

MN Headhunter
rather than stifle anyone at any age I suggest the long leash idea. Give enough rope without letting someone hang themselves or the company

MN Headhunter
Look, there are companies doing this and they are recruiting and retaining better tan average

NMarie
Right now our economical outlook is murky and industries are outsourcing work product...which is not building up our confidence in corporate america... Thus, I feel that the work model is starting to shift from "At Office" to "Virtual - SOHO"

Susan Burns
Mike - interesting since Gen Y sees themselves as excellend problem solvers due to their technical expertise and resourcefullness
2:37pm
Susan Burns
paul - which companies do u see doing this very well. have u checked out what BestBuy is doing?
2:37pm

MN Headhunter
I think that too goes back the parents. They asked their kid, what would you do, and then did it for them
2:38pm

Susan Burns
NMarie - what is Virtual SOHO?
2:38pm

Susan Burns
RE problem solving - maybe its that they need to solve problems as a group rather than individually
2:39pm

NMarie
Virtual at home - Small Office Home Office

MN Headhunter
In Minneapolis, the kids (term used loosely) want to work at Target first. Best Buy is in the top 5.

Susan Burns
There's also the idea of leveraging their "network" to solve problems. Although, love Josh's IBM video that he shared. I'll find the link and add to the chat in a few

Susan Burns
Got it - thanks NMarie

MN Headhunter
The ad/pr firms turn kids away daily. They are seen as innovative.

Susan Burns
Paul - why Target first? Development program??
MN Headhunter
Part online, part retail (new and cool things), part give them the keys company mentality
2:40pm

MN Headhunter
They also lose most of them by 30 as they have ventured off to do their next best thing.
2:41pm

Susan Burns
Target had an excellend reputation for developing talent and wonder if this is still attractive for launching a career

MN Headhunter
So the company is very young (used loosely) and sometimes a moat between them and senior execs who do not "get it" but let lower management look over it

Susan Burns
Here's the link Josh Letourneau shared - great video on the value of social networks: http://tinyurl.com/5jgsl7
2:42pm

MN Headhunter
It is but launching a career and then at 30 taking off

Susan Burns
Paul - we used to call it training for the "street"

MN Headhunter
And it does work for Target. A constant supply of energy, talent, new ideas.
2:43pm
Susan Kang Nam
will need to check that out. p.s. I know someone just joined Target Corporate team in CA - will need to follow up and see his views on this.

Susan Burns
Ooooh Susan - get the inside scoop ;-)

Susan Kang Nam
lol
2:44pm

Susan Burns
Development programs are really valuable. Companies could do more to provide exposure to difft aspects of the biz
2:44pm

MN Headhunter
That and it shows no intent to invest in their peopler
2:45pm

MN Headhunter
those that do not

Susan Kang Nam
definitely.. that goes saying further for retention..
Susan Burns
Could companies engage and retain more talent if they would balance the core work with exposure and opportunities to work on projects and interact with more execs?
2:46pm

Susan Burns
I think part of what is happening is people get bored - so much stimulation from other sources that work seems boring
2:47pm

MN Headhunter
Yes, local company, Carlson Companies does this with emerging leaders

Susan Kang Nam
I know at least this one particular Biotech company does that.. very efficient.

MN Headhunter
they call it something else but essentially a pool of top people get exposure within the company

MN Headhunter
The question companies need to ask someone 25 or 55 is this, do we provide an environment where you want to stay here?
2:48pm

@_@
@susan of course; this aint nuffin new ... Top Talent is ID'd and then gets 'special projects' (usually with sum kewl name like Tiger Team) and it helps give them more stuff to do outside their core function to mitigate boredom. Many issues can come up
2:49pm

Susan Burns
Is this something that could be expanded to engage more people - collaboration and community!

Susan Burns
Hey Jeremy...new Daddy!!! Great o have you join us!

Susan Kang Nam
yes!

Susan Burns
Paul - they need to ask that daily ;-)

@_@
hey Susan ...
2:50pm
Susan Burns
Rotational programs are also good

Susan Kang Nam
agree

@_@
i agree BIG TIME with 'rotational' programs for all workers & even more intense "tours of duty" for Execs.

Susan Kang Nam
but there is always "politics"... enough said.

Susan Burns
So last question - what do u think will be the most significant change we see in the workpalce over the next 3 years?
2:51pm

@_@
the teenagers will be old enuff to have a say

Susan Kang Nam
BB retiring.. etc.

@_@
the boomers have been 'retiring' for years -- nuffin new there IMO

Susan Kang Nam
true..but more..
2:52pm

@_@
but Gen Y actually having some exp under their belt & the street cred morphing into real biz value = P O W E R
Susan Burns
What would be the most radical change to undertake if there was NO budget constraints?

@_@
100% virtual workforce.

MN Headhunter
training, schooling, mentoring
2:53pm

MN Headhunter
paid for with no strings attached

MN Headhunter
if no constraints

The Talent Hunter
Susan -- virtual workforce will never happen, but I do see a lot of the design roles and such turning over to contract work as healthcare costs increase and su GenXers start handling the budgets

@_@
lol Paul ... although all that stuff is good ... how is that really "radical" as Suan posed ??
2:54pm

@_@
agreed Mr TalentHunter

MN Headhunter
do it for everyone at every level

Susan Burns
Mike - check out some of the cool stuff Best Buy is doing with virtual work

The Talent Hunter
Susan -- in a nutshell, more contractors and less full-time employees

@_@
....thats what makes the concept radical ...at 100%

MN Headhunter
Best Buy, ROWE
@_@
yah ROWE is nice. and as of a couple years back it was working well -- haven't scoped it lately though ....any IT companies doing it right this moment that ya know about ?
2:55pm

@_@
ROWE, or Results-Only Work Environment, (also known as Results Oriented Work Environment), is a management strategy created by and pioneered by .bestbuy
2:56pm

Susan Burns
Thanks Mike!

MN Headhunter
Latest article I have seen: Forbes.com "Viva La Workplace Revolution"

MN Headhunter
~link~

Susan Burns
Thanks everyone for a great chat today! Lots of cool ideas to explore
2:57pm

Susan Kang Nam
Paul - thanks - will need to read this..

Susan Burns
Paul - aka MN Headhunter will be leading Talent Talk Cafe for the next 3 weeks!!! Join him and have a blast!!!

The Talent Hunter
Thanks susan...always a pleasure

Susan Kang Nam
Thanks Susan as always and for everyone

Susan Burns
Thanks for the article Paul
@_@
thx susan

@_@

2:58pm

MN Headhunter
ANy ideas for upcoming chats send to paul@mnheadhunter.com
2:58pm
Susan Burns
Paul - I'll send u some info and give u a buzz Thursday - So glad your doing this!!!
2:59pm

MN Headhunter
Sure
3:00pm

MN Headhunter
Let's see what is left upon your arrival before you thank me
3:00pm

Views: 48

Subscribe

All the recruiting news you see here, delivered straight to your inbox.

Just enter your e-mail address below

Webinar

RecruitingBlogs on Twitter

© 2024   All Rights Reserved   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service