y’s overall success.
I believe that a company’s carefully-maintained employee-first culture can and does positively effect its bottom line.
Winning in the marketplace is certainly the main focus of any company. But just as important is the company’s ability to take care of business in the company’s workplace. Yes, to me, it is all about winning in the workplace that drives the company’s success. I cannot stress enough, the fact, that people are a company’s greatest asset.
Creating a quality and winning workplace filled with content and high-flying team players does make a difference. I recently came across a quote from Doug Conant, ex CEO Campbell Soup which stated, ” To win in the marketplace you must first win in the workplace.” To me, this says it all. As a business owner of a small company I know the importance of having happy people in our workplace and how it has played and continues to play in our overall success.
As I look to maintain and build upon a winning workplace, the following are a few of our company’s “must haves” to ensure we are winning in the workplace. Please note that they are not in any specific order.
1. Offer competitive salary with the opportunity to earn more based upon individual and team successes.
2. Have in place an environment that offers a challenge to each team, holding each accountable while offering a real sense of ownership to completed projects.
3. Make available necessary tools that will assist with the each team player’s successes. I believe there needs to be relevant tools and proven processes in place to empower each employee.
4. There also must exist the opportunity for career advancement, creativity and it is okay to fail while trying something new environment.
5. Hire those who will make the team stronger. I have also learned that creating a winning workplace environment requires the need to ensure every new hire is a great one. Again, looking to maintain and enhance the all ready great colleague type of environment.
6. As a leader it is important to keep morale high, create that positive and winning workplace that will keep turnover to a minimum. It also means promoting, hiring and training leaders others want to work for.
7. Always promote the concept that the customer is always right attitude. It starts at the top and should be part of the corporate culture.
What do you believe is important to winning in the workplace?