The purpose of behavioral questions is to identify how a potential new employee would act in future situations. Behavioral questions are always open ended, leaving the interviewee to fill in the blanks. To answer these questions:
1.)Identify an experience
2.)Describe the situation
3.)Describe the task presented
4.)The action taken
5.) The positive outcome.
All questions have the same kind of beginning. Open ended requiring you to talk about a past experience like:
1.) Tell me about
2.) Give me a specific example
3.) Describe a time
4.) Tell me about a time
Below is Rich Peterson's list of behavioral questions to help you prepare for your interview.
1. Tell me about a time when you had to deal with a difficult co-worker or manager on a project. How did you handle the situation? What were the outcomes?
2. Describe a time when you had to persuade someone to see your side? What tactics did you use? What were the outcomes? What did you determine?
3. Give me an example when you had a list of things to do and your manager came to you and said “I need this product completed by 3pm." How did you respond to the situation?
4. Provide me an example when you were involved in a project with a group.
5. Tell me about a time when you had to supervise someone.
6. Explain how you keep yourself organized so to meet deadlines or goals.
7. Describe a time where you failed to meet a goal. What did you fail to do? What were the consequences? What was the outcome?
8. Tell me about a time when you used creativity to complete a project or work with someone else?
9. Outline a time when you were a team leader. Who did the team consist of, and what did you do to help your team succeed.
10. Define a time when you were assigned a task, were provided little direction about how to complete it. What steps did you take to complete the task? What was the outcome?
11. Tell me about a time when a co-worker criticized your work. How did you handle the situation? What was the result?
12. Describe a time when you had to motivate others. What were the outcomes?
13. Tell me about a time when you had to make a difficult decision that affected those with whom you worked. What was the outcome?
14. Give me an example of a situation in which you were able to use persuasion to successfully convince someone to see things your way.
15. Describe a time when you were faced with a stressful situation that demonstrated your coping skills.
16. Give me a specific example of a time when you used good judgment and logic in solving a problem.
17. Describe a time when you had to use your presentation skills to influence someone's opinion.
18. Tell me about a time a time when you had to conform to a policy with which you did not agree.
For More Information: