[This post was originally posted on a sister site - http://careerfliexroads.com. I think its as important for recruiters as it is for job seekers. What do you think?]
According to a recent NY Times article
, President Elect Obama has upped his goal of providing new jobs in the first two years of his presidency from 2.5 million to 3 million. Many of these jobs will be in areas that will enhance our current transportation infrastructure (roads and bridges) and help us cut our addiction to foreign oil (new energy sources such as solar and wind power). My fervent belief is that Mr. Obama and the new Senate will want to get started on this project within a few weeks of his taking the oath of office
. New jobs should be coming online within the next few month. Are YOU ready? Here are some things you can do now to be prepared when those new jobs come around.
- Build your network. You have heard that it's not what you know, but who you know. The saying is even more true today than it ever has been. Statistics say that
- Enhance your skills. What do you need to know that you don't currently know? Do you need some training in a specific skill area or with a particular software program? Now is the right time to take a class or return to school for a program that will enhance your skills and abilities.
- Develop a strong, compelling, memorable, and inspiring Unique Selling Proposition. Here's link to a recent article on developing your "Elevator Pitch" that will be helpful for pulling together your USP.
- Create a winning resume. Make sure you focus on developing a resume that highlights that which you are both capable of and willing to do in your next position. It should include a strong USP (Unique Selling Proposition) and clearly quantified results of your accomplishments.
- Explore growing industries. Some of the industries sure to grow in 2009 are healthcare and alternative energy. What skills do you have that might be transferable to either of these industries?
- Clean up your Internet presence. Do you have an account on Facebook? Plaxo? LinkedIn? Career Crossroads 2.0? Have you updated them recently? Do so now.
Obama's innaguration is just 2 weeks away. Are YOU ready for the new jobs this new administration plans to create?