Cross-posted from The Green Suits:
In every year past, we predicted that things were going to get better on the green and sustainable career track. While some of us have made gains and landed great jobs, most of the rest of us struggle to establish ourselves in the New Green Economy.
We've grown tired of prognosticating. So, for Twenty-Twelve, we offer these ten wishes to you--the enthusiastic trail blazing careerists of the Triple Bottom Line--the Green Suits. Here goes:
- That we find ways to acquire experience and achieve success in the green business space. If you are eager to be in green business but don't yet have the requisite experience, purpose yourself to turn your existing non-green job GREEN. Propose a sound business case with your management that you are the one to make the company or organization they lead more efficient and resource-sustainable. In short order, you could become your company's chief green officer!
- That we never stop learning or asking probing questions about The New Green Economy. Our education doesn't end with a bachelor's degree. On the contrary, it is just the beginning of our path to knowledge. Purpose yourself for learning and discovery for these are important factors in your success as The Green Suit.
- That we connect with esteemed professionals who will help us achieve enduring success in green business careers. So, get out of your comfort zone. Meet professionals in face-to-face settings, people who can get you in the door for great opportunities in their companies or connect you with excellent training and volunteer programs to bolster your sustainability and social responsibility experience.
- That we form our own Advisory Boards. Just as start-up companies do, to fill their executives' managerial experience cavities, so too will we align ourselves with green business professionals who help us overcome all that we don't know about green business.
- That we develop great value propositions for ourselves, and post great positive (sustainability boosting) metrics to our résumés (CVs).
- The we lead purpose-driven lives. Money is a great motivator; it helps us work harder and smarter so that we provide better for ourselves and our families. But let us also work hard for the Triple Bottom Line, to help our companies generate more revenue and profit. But also to work for the betterment of people and the planet.
- That we expertly frame our value to overcome the indifference and cynicism that hinders green business progress. We, The Green Suits, are efficiency experts--that is our number one frame for success in business!
- That we walk the walk. To be The Green Suit is to be an enthusiastic practitioner of sustainability and social responsibility. So, don't water the lawn (let it turn brown). Wash your clothes in cold water to save energy. Avoid dry-cleaning clothes. Take mass-transit to work, or, work from a virtual office.
- That we talk the talk. Let us use our knowledge and experience to promote sustainable and socially responsible business practices, and green jobs. Let us get op/eds published in the newspaper which promote the Triple Bottom Line. Let us speak at business gatherings to build enthusiasm for The New Green Economy.
- And--even on the tough days and weeks which are sure to follow in the New Year--that we remember this: Our best days lie ahead.
May the New Year bring you and all who you love good health, good times, and great good fortune! And may twenty-twelve be your best year, ever!