Talent Acquisitionists are always Sourcing for the needle in the haystack and there have been several occasions wherein the applicant has turned down the opportunity due to commuting concerns. As a result closing the desired Talent has proved to be difficult.
Having said that, @SourcingAdda we’ve taken the initiative to try and understand the importance of work location in terms of hiring. Thanks to our Bangalore WhatsApp group member Shashank’s; discussion topic suggestion, “How Important is work location in terms of Hiring?” So add to your learning with the discussion and ensure you remember the key take away points highlighted after.
If you’ve read this far then we’re certain that you’ve found something interesting and want to ensure that you’ve got all the points that were important. Having, said that we’ve taken the initiative to highlight the key take a ways for you to add to your knowledge. Therefore, let’s get right down to them so here goes…
Importance of Work Location in terms of hiring
- A lot depends upon the location of the company and the industry they deal with
- Candidates are willing to join a company i.e. located in a place that can easily be reached by a car or public transport
- Most candidates will not travel further than they already do
- Applicants are more likely to join a company located in the vicinity of their residing location
- If Sourcing for talent with specific skills then a company located in an area where related industries are also located is a good option.
- In Bangalore; location and proximity matters a lot
- There have been scenarios where the candidate works from home yet is interested in working outside his town and is also mentioned in the résumés on job portals.
- True location is the key for any company no matter which industry and they provide transportation
- Location is not only important for hiring but equally important for business
- Clients always map the company and the surrounding areas while finalizing any deals
- A company at a prime location will definitely get Candidates very easily and clients as well
- Even though work location matters it also depends on what kind of infrastructure the city has
- During the initial phase of an individual’s career the infrastructure of the city has less importance
- But the importance picks up once they settle down with the family, house, kid’s education, taking care of parents etc.
- For better company hiring it is challenging in tier-2 cities
- Even though the salaries given are on par with industry standards; Candidates are still not ready
- With Increasing traffic and travel time applicants spend 4 hours in addition to their regular hours
- Candidates want to settle in a place where there are more options
- On basis of work location we will able to understand the genuinely of candidates. It helps reduce blackout ratio.
- Finding the right talent in smaller cities compared to metros is difficult
- When it comes to relocation Candidates back-out for various reasons
Solutions to the Challenges faced
- To curb this, start introducing flexible timings, work from home once a week
- Encourage them to relocate with their family by giving more perks
- All these or more we could offer can only help a certain percentage, the challenge will still remain
- Role, pay and overall job security are vital to fill
- On the basis of the work location we can understand the genunity of candidates and it helps reduce blackout ratio.
- To deal with the challenge of relocation we need to check their candidature and if selected in any organization he / she can negotiate on that offer with the current organization.
- Moving to tier two cities and towns is a good option if implemented well
- Companies must pay tier salaries for good quality of life and to capture and retain the right calibre Talent.
- The Recent trend observed is that people are looking for opportunities close by
- Now travel time is also considered as work time in some countries
Now that’s one heck of a discussion, wouldn’t you agree? Once again we’ve received an out pour of responses with a lot of inputs to add to our learning as well as yours. If you’d like to get real time updates to our upcoming activities and events be sure to follow us @SourcingAdda.
If you’ve found the discussion enlightening and would like to be a part of these discussions then please share your WhatsApp contact no & you’re location via DM (Direct Message on Twitter) or leave your requests to be added in the comments section along with your views.
You need to be a member of RecruitingBlogs to add comments!