Question for corp hr recruiters (or agency) on negotiating insurance wait period

Would love input from anyone on this as surprisingly I haven't run into this scenario before. I have an aquaintance who asked my advice on the following scenario and don't feel that I really have a solid handle on how to advise her as I've worked mostly agency side and one long term in-house contract.

She is expecting an offer from a company that she really wants to work for and just discovered that their benefits don't kick in for 90 days. That is a problem because her current company is tiny enough that they don't offer cobra. She is wondering if companies will negotiate on the wait period? What have you seen? At the company I worked at, the policy was set in stone, but it was also a huge company. Maybe smaller companies can be more flexible and work with her?

There's a part two that is equally controversial...the reason she needs medical benefits asap is because she is six months pregnant! She was fully intending to disclose this during the interview, but timing wasn't right. She wants to let them know now, but worries that knowing she's pregnant could prevent them from negotiating.

Thoughts?

Views: 71

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hmmm, does anyone have an opinion on this? Anyone? Bueller? :)
This is a tough situation (considering part two!). In working with some smaller companies I have found that they can sometimes be flexible or if not they can sometimes offer a stipend to compensate for using an independent policy like Unicare to cover in the interim. She may want to talk with a unicare rep and see how fast they could cover her and then set the start date for then.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Subscribe

All the recruiting news you see here, delivered straight to your inbox.

Just enter your e-mail address below

Webinar

RecruitingBlogs on Twitter

© 2024   All Rights Reserved   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service