I guess this would be a follow up to my earlier post about recruiter burn out and I appreciate any additional insight.

If asked I would say I am a good recruiter but probably not a great recruiter. With the focus of the first 7+ years of my recruiting life (up to now) being as a dad first, being a ‘good’ recruiter has been plenty. But now my kids are in school and I have more free time so I want to take my recruiting to the next level but I am stuck in the rut of being a ‘good’ recruiter and need to get out and I know it has to do with my lack of sourcing additional candidates as I have plenty of job orders to work on but struggle to fill them which is my source of frustration.

Once I get a job order I take what I call my 2 pole approach because when I go fishing (not enough) I like to use 2 poles.
1) The first pole is the one with the big crawler on it and a bobber, you just throw it out and let it sit and hope something hits it. This would be posting on the job boards, let them sit out there and see if something hits it. Yes there will be lots of little fish pestering you but worth waiting for the big one. I share the expenses so it is an option that is cost feasible for me.
2) The second pole is the one with the snap swivel and lures on it, you try one for awhile and if nothing hits it you change and try something else. My main area here is resume databases; internal, job boards, LinkedIn, etc. I am somewhat new to LinkedIn and still have just the free service but get little response to my requests so sometimes I will e-mail the candidate directly at work. If I know where they work and their name I can normally figure out their work e-mail and can contact them directly. If I find a candidate that is close but not perfect I will still call and see if I can get a referral so I do much more than just key word searches but I am still limited in my ability to source additional candidates.

Up until now this approach has worked just fine for me but with the addition of my free time and my desire to go to the next level I was looking for some insight on what you do to source your candidates?

I have tried to work with other recruiters in the past on splits but apparently the wrong ones as they would flood me with unqualified resumes and insist on me submitting them so those relationships were short lived. I will add that I have been going through multiple profiles and training information here on RBC and am very thankful for everyone for providing this information and will continue to do so.

Thanks in advance!
Jason

Views: 55

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Jason,
I am searching through some of the posts as I am too looking for specific qualified candidates and feel your pain when you have openings and not the right candidates. Are you part of any recruiting networking groups? I am part of a large one here in Boston and they often post good candidates that are either friends of theirs or that they are not able to place because not in there specialty. They also post jobs they are looking for help on and it is understood that this is not a split fee group. This group is through Yahoo, maybe you can find similar groups in your area through these sites.

I have been using LinkedIn to find additional contacts in companies that I am calling. Another new beta site for getting referrals is Inquisix.com. I have just signed on and the premise of the group is to get and give referrals.

Hope some of this helps you.

Karina
www.resourcefulrecruiting.com

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Subscribe

All the recruiting news you see here, delivered straight to your inbox.

Just enter your e-mail address below

Webinar

RecruitingBlogs on Twitter

© 2024   All Rights Reserved   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service