Audio Version here

As you all know, unlike everybody else in the recruitosphere, I am not a thought leader. And I am not a visionary.

But nevertheless, late last week I created the very first portable group blog in world history. Here's what I mean.

A bunch of my friends and I agreed to work together as team of roving commenters.

When we see a blog posting that's just begging to be criticized we send a message (like ants) to the other members of the team.

And they all descend on it at the same time and start discussing it back and forth until all of the errors are exposed and corrected.

Now please tell me, what's wrong with that?

I think it's a marvellous idea because not many people leave comments on recruiting blogs so a blogger is free to say any kind of nonsense at all and never get called on it.

You get guys like the great Shally, who complain that there's too much noise in the recruitosphere but do they ever come up with a plan to do anything about it? No.

But did the Recruiting Animal come up with a solution to the problem? Yes he did. And it's a fun solution too. But do you think anyone is patting me on the back for it. No. No they're not.

Instead I'm starting to hear the same old story: Why do you have criticize everybody. I don't think that's nice.

Yeah. Well look at Lifehacker. That's a software blog. They recommend software. And when they do they get a bunch of comments from people telling you what the shortcomings of that software are

So tell me, would it be better if the people who know something and are trying to help you just shut their mouths because the guy who made the recommendation isn't humble enough to handle anybody else's opinion? I don't think so.

And the same rule applies to us. If you tell me is that your company's great and you don't offer any evidence, I'm going to say you better prove it, Bub.

And if you tell me that when a Gen Y person gets laid off she won't have any trouble writing a great resume, activating her network and getting a new job in just a few weeks. I'm going to say you better prove it.

Because that's the difference between blogging and propaganda. And that's the difference between being boring and being a part of a dialogue. And people who write political blogs, they get that -- but, recruiters they don't. They don't get it.

Now, remember when Obama said that today is the day the oceans stop rising? Well I'm telling you that today is the day that the noise starts dying down.

Views: 222

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Josh,

The picture you posted is of an ant farm. The sand, the bridge, the barn is all part of the ant farm, including the ants in the tunnels.However I am not sure I see any ideas anywhere in the picture. If anywhere they would be with the ants who are underground in the tunnels.

If what you were saying is that you wouldn't want to get sucked into an airless space, I am with you. I like to breathe. If you were saying you didn't want to want to be forced to march lock-step with other ants, I also agree. But I think we owe it to ourselves to attempt to elevate our discussions and make sure that what we individually and collectively write and speak is responsible and helpful and real. Spirited respectful dialogue is part of that. You are right, hit squads are not. I never signed up to be on a death squad. I simply wanted (and want) to be part of robust dialogue within our industry.
Animal...

>> They're fantically independent, just like Ami G.

Is that "fantastically" "fanatically" "frantically" "frenetically"...what are you saying?

This whole business seems to have you muddled.
They are independent but I do like to think they're my fans.

Amitai Givertz said:
Animal...>> They're fantically independent, just like Ami G.
Is that "fantastically" "fanatically" "frantically" "frenetically"...what are you saying?.
Oh my. Bringing the Columbine Tragedy into this discussion is absurd.

KarenM / Hirecentrix.com said:
The Columbine Pledge of Respect

 I will pledge to be part of the solution
 I will eliminate taunting and harassment from my own behavior
 I will encourage others to do the same
 I will not let my words or actions hurt others
 And even if others won’t become part of the solution, I WILL!

Does ANYONE Remember this?
Karen Mattonen
www.hirecentrix.com
Jerry, We are standing at the intersection of Absurd and Take Cover streets.
I'm struggling to find the difference Karen. Do you know why? Because there isn't one. In the chance that I am wrong - please show me how you can only drag in the "Columbine Pledge of Respect" and disassociate that from the actual "Columbine Tragedy".

(I think it's going to be a challenge.)

((((((pours a 7/7))))))))))

KarenM / Hirecentrix.com said:
Jerry I didn't bring the Tragedy into this, I brought the "The Columbine Pledge of Respect"

KarenM / Hirecentrix.com said:
The Columbine Pledge of Respect

 I will pledge to be part of the solution
 I will eliminate taunting and harassment from my own behavior
 I will encourage others to do the same
 I will not let my words or actions hurt others
 And even if others won’t become part of the solution, I WILL!

Does ANYONE Remember this?
Karen Mattonen
www.hirecentrix.com
I would like to know why we can't have a forum where the possibility exists for us to have a conversation like this...

...yeah, like this.

Jerry -- wanna start one? Karen?

What's the point of coming here and confusing conversation with debate, and debate for proselytizing?

Clearly, this is no conversation. Can we shoot for a debate -- I mean like a real one?

Jerry Albright said:
I'm struggling to find the difference Karen. Do you know why? Because there isn't one. In the chance that I am wrong - please show me how you can only drag in the "Columbine Pledge of Respect" and disassociate that from the actual "Columbine Tragedy".
(I think it's going to be a challenge.) ((((((pours a 7/7))))))))))

KarenM / Hirecentrix.com said:
Jerry I didn't bring the Tragedy into this, I brought the "The Columbine Pledge of Respect"

KarenM / Hirecentrix.com said:
The Columbine Pledge of Respect

 I will pledge to be part of the solution
 I will eliminate taunting and harassment from my own behavior
 I will encourage others to do the same
 I will not let my words or actions hurt others
 And even if others won’t become part of the solution, I WILL!

Does ANYONE Remember this?
Karen Mattonen
www.hirecentrix.com
Yeah, Ami, she's right. We want a lot more postings like that one.

Maren Hogan said:
Ami,

Genius! I think it would work too. Actually, this is what Fistful of Talent does weekly for Workforce. It was my half of that "Point-Counterpoint" that was initially slammed. What a delightfully pleasant way to come full circle!
Ah, then all is well that ends well. From Comment Club to Debating Society. How civilized.

Recruiting Animal said:
Yeah, Ami, she's right. We want a lot more postings like that one.

Maren Hogan said:
Ami,

Genius! I think it would work too. Actually, this is what Fistful of Talent does weekly for Workforce. It was my half of that "Point-Counterpoint" that was initially slammed. What a delightfully pleasant way to come full circle!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Subscribe

All the recruiting news you see here, delivered straight to your inbox.

Just enter your e-mail address below

Webinar

RecruitingBlogs on Twitter

© 2021   All Rights Reserved   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service